Wiltshire has a rich and diverse heritage. Whether you are researching your ancestors, the history of your town or parish, involved in school or college projects or require professional assistance on other heritage matters you will find a wealth of advice.
The Heritage and Arts Service is based in the award winning Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre.
Heritage and Arts comprise the following:
- Wiltshire and Swindon Archives - giving access to 8 miles of historic records of the County and Swindon Borough going back 800 years.
- Local Studies - provides printed and pictorial material through its Wiltshire Studies Collection and its Heritage Library. It also produces the popular Community History website.
- Archaeology Service - records and protects Wiltshire’s archaeology and gives monument management advice.
- Museums Advisory Service - gives both direct and indirect assistance to local museums.
- Conservation Service - provides support and advice on all aspects of collection care.
- Arts Service - supports literature, media, performing and visual arts and crafts in Wiltshire.
In addition, Wiltshire Council Heritage Services works closely with the Wiltshire Buildings Record which is a voluntary society and educational charity.
The editors of the Wiltshire Victoria County History and the Wiltshire Registration Service Copy Certificate Team are also based at the History Centre.
Last updated: 22 April 2010