If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Blue Badge further information

Customer notice

We are currently updating our website with a cleaner, mobile-friendly design. This page will be updated with the new design soon. Thank you for your patience.

Please tell us what you think about our website, we welcome your feedback.

Using your Blue Badge

  • Only you can use your Blue Badge and you are responsible for it.
  • Make sure it’s displayed on your dashboard and clearly visible with the time clock correctly set.
  • It is illegal to use your badge after the expiry date shown on it.
  • You may be fined up to £1,000 or lose your badge if you do not use it correctly.

Please read the Blue Badge scheme: rights and responsibilities booklet produced by the Department for Transport to make sure you know exactly how and when you can use your badge.

Misuse of a Blue Badge

A Blue Badge can be taken away if you misuse it. You are responsible for the badge and must not allow anyone else to use it. You must not use photocopies of the badge and must be a passenger or driver of the vehicle at all times when the badge is displayed. Continuing to use your badge if your disability improves so that you are no longer eligible for the scheme is also considered missue. Please contact us on 01225 713002 if you would like to discuss improvements to your condition.

The maximum penalty for misuse of the badge is a fine of £1,000.

To report misuse of a Blue Badge, please contact us on 01225 713002.

How to appeal if you have been refused a badge

There is no legal right of appeal against a decision to refuse a Blue Badge. However, if you think you think you have been incorrectly or unfairly refused a badge, you can ask for a review of the decision by contacting us on 01225 713002. You will be sent a letter advising you of the process and you will need to come to a local council office to meet with a member of the occupational therapy team to assess your mobility.

Returning a Blue Badge

Your Blue Badge is valid for three years. However, it remains the property of your local authority and must be returned if:

  • The badge holder dies (please quote the date of death and your relationship to the person when returning the badge).
  • The badge has expired.
  • You have received a replacement badge because your original was lost or stolen and you later find it.
  • You no longer qualify for the badge because your disability improves.
  • You do not need the badge anymore; for example because you are confined to your house.

Please return badges to

Blue Badge Team
Customer Services
Wiltshire Council
County Hall
BA14 8JN

Can I have two badges if I have two cars?

No. The badge is issued to the disabled person and the badge can only be used when they travel as the driver or a passenger of any car. Take your Blue Badge and time clock from the car when it is not in use so you have it available to use in any other vehicle.

Can I use my badge anywhere in the UK?

There are a number of restrictions and local parking schemes which you need to be aware of. Page 17 of the Blue Badge scheme: rights and responsibilities booklet gives a list of those places and the restrictions that apply.

Travelling abroad

The Blue Badge is recognised throughout the European Union (EU), but concessions provided in some EU countries may not be the same as in the UK. Always check locally before travelling as concessions may change over time.

Using an EU parking card if you are visiting from abroad

If you are a visitor to the UK from an EU country or one of the following countries, you can use your disabled parking card in the same way as someone who lives in the UK. You must bring your card with you, and can use it on your own vehicle or one you use while you are here.

  • Guernsey
  • Iceland
  • Isle of Man
  • Jersey
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland

If you are from outside the EU and other listed European countries, you are not entitled to any parking concessions. If you have a disabled parking badge you can bring it with you and check with local police or the highways authority in the areas you are visiting to see if they would recognise it.

How do I get a disabled parking bay outside my house?

The council can consider requests for disabled parking bays. There is a system in place so that requests are dealt with to make sure the most deserving cases are provided with disabled parking space facilities.

An assessment by the occupational therapist in the council’s Department of Adult and Community Care is required. Following a recommendation for eligibility from the occupational therapist, the area highway office will visit the site to assess the practicalities of the location of a bay before arranging for the markings to be provided.

For further information, please contact us on 0300 4560111 or email bluebadge@wiltshire.gov.uk.

Contact Details (LiveLink)

Multiple Contacts:
Telephone: 01225 713002
Out of hours:
Postal Address:

Customer Services
Wiltshire Council
County Hall
BA14 8JN

In Person:

Last updated: 4 November 2014


  • Pay
  • Report
  • Book
  • Apply


This website