What is the Nationality Checking Service?
The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) was set up to help make sure that your citizenship application is properly completed and submitted with all the relevant supporting documents. Our officers are trained and registered to check and forward your application. They will photocopy and certify your passport and other valuable documents so they remain in your safekeeping and send your application and correct fee to the Home Office by special delivery post.
Using the NCS is entirely optional and just gives you greater freedom of choice. You can apply directly to the Home Office yourself or use a solicitor or other agent.
How do I use the Nationality Checking Service?
The NCS operates on an appointment only basis; you will not be seen without an appointment. To make your appointment, you should contact our Customer Services on 0300 003 4570 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
When you book an appointment you will be asked for payment at the time so you should have a credit or debit card available. Please note this fee is non-refundable so please do not proceed with the booking unless your documents are in order. If documents are missing or the application is incomplete, you will need to book another appointment and a further fee will be charged.
- You must make your application in person. If you are married or in a civil partnership and want to make a joint application, then both of you must visit in person. If you have children under 18 years old, they do not have to be present.
- You must bring the following documents with you:
- Completed citizenship application form.
- Original copy of your successful ‘Life in the UK’ test certificate. (Naturalisation only) and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) certificate with covering letter from the college
- All the necessary documents as explained in the application form guideline notes – please check very carefully that you bring everything that is required in the notes, your application cannot be processed if anything is missing.
- The citizenship application fee (payable to The Accounting Officer, Home Office) in the form of a cheque or postal order. Credit/debit card details can be taken.
Will the Council give me advice about nationality?
Wiltshire Council will not be able to provide advice on nationality matters.
If you require advice you can contact the Home Office on 0300 123 2253. Lines are open from 9:00am until 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
The Home Office website also offers nationality advice.
Will my application be dealt with more quickly?
NCS is not a priority service for processing your application with the Home Office. However complete and accurate forms are processed, on average, more quickly then those that are incomplete or which need further enquires.
How do I know Wiltshire Registration Service is competent to offer the checking service?
Our officers are registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC), an independent body established by Parliament, which regulates organisations offering services of this kind.
In providing the Nationality Checking Service, staff have been fully trained by Home Office Nationality experts and provided with a set of desk instructions which set out the precise extent of their duties.
If a client requires advice or services which are outside our remit, the officer will refer that person to the Home Office and record the fact.
Do I have to pay for the checking service?
The current fee to be paid can be found on our Fees page
The fees reflect the cost of providing the service and we make no profit from this service.
Wiltshire Council is not responsible for applications which are refused by the Home Office. If your application is refused because you are not eligible, your NCS fee will not be refunded.
We always welcome feedback and suggestions to improve the quality of our service.
Last updated: 27 January 2016