In 2012 Wiltshire Council used powers granted to it under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 to introduce four Dog Control Orders. These Orders replaced existing Orders which had been in place in the four former District Councils of Wiltshire prior to local government reorganisation in 2009. They also introduce consistency across the County with regards to how these matters are dealt with and the penalties that can be levied.
The Dog Control Orders in place throughout Wiltshire are to:-
- require the person in charge of a dog to clean up after it has defaecated on any area of land within Wiltshire which is open to the air, including covered land which is open to the air on at least one side and to which the public are entitled to have access with or without payment.
- make it an offence for a person in charge of a dog to allow it to enter a children’s play area which is enclosed by a fence, wall or similar structure.
- require the person in charge of a dog to put it on a lead of no more than 2 metres in length when required to do by an authorised officer of Wiltshire Council.
- require dog walkers in the vicinity of Box Recreation Ground to keep their dogs on a lead at all times.
Note: There are certain exemptions in the Dog Control Orders for assistance dogs such as guide dogs for the blind and hearing dogs for the deaf.
The penalty in relation to any offence in any Dog Control Order is, on summary conviction, a fine not exceeding £1,000.
A person may be offered the chance to discharge any liability to conviction for any offence under any Dog Control Order by payment of a fixed penalty of £75.
If the fixed penalty is not paid within the required 14 day period then the individual may be prosecuted for the original offence.
The Dog Control Orders can be viewed below:
- The Dogs on Leads (Recreation Ground, Box) (Wiltshire Council) Order 2012 The Dogs on Leads (Recreation Ground, Box) (Wiltshire Council) Order 2012 47kb
- The Dogs on Leads by Direction (Wiltshire Council) Order 2012 The Dogs on Leads by Direction (Wiltshire Council) Order 2012 97kb
- The Fouling of Land by Dogs (Wiltshire Council) Order 2012 The Fouling of Land by Dogs (Wiltshire Council) Order 2012 106kb
- The Dogs Exclusion (Wiltshire Council) Order 2012 The Dogs Exclusion (Wiltshire Council) Order 2012 72kb
For more information please contact a dog warden on 0300 4560100
Last updated: 25 October 2013