What is it?
2012 was a great year for Great Britain, it was also a great year for Wiltshire. Our communities came together and celebrated the Queen's Diamond Jubliee, the Olympic games and followed the Olympic Torch relay as it came through the county visiting sixteen of our towns, we enjoyed the Festival of Celebration at Hudson’s Field. Hundreds of people attended local street parties, events, concerts and activities that were held across the county.
These events had a huge impact on our communities and the local economy. We anticipate that the real impact on tourism and visitors to Wiltshire will be seen in the coming year and beyond because of the promotion and publicity showcasing our county.
We have set up a Legacy Steering Board to make sure we continue building on the momentum from 2012 so that we create a real legacy for the future.
What are our goals?
We want to continue to build on the successful relationships that were made by creating a real legacy for our future
We will focus on:
- keeping the economy invigorated
- bringing communities together to deliver events and, activities,
- getting more people more active through sport and leisure
- increasing the access to arts and culture across the county
Who are we working with?
Strong and positive relationships have been set up between area boards, town and parish councils, partner organisations and local community groups.
How can you get involved?
We welcome any ideas you may have and look forward to working with you and providing any support that may be needed.
The most important tip for holding a community event is to plan early, think about what you want to achieve and get in touch with your council at least a month in advance. A good first point of contact will be Wiltshire Council’s corporate events co-ordinator on 01380 826335 or at CorporateEvents@wiltshire.gov.uk . We have provided a toolkit as a guide to organising public and community events in Wiltshire to help you out:
- Wiltshire event toolkit - A guide to organising public and community events in Wiltshire Wiltshire event toolkit - A guide to organising public and community events in Wiltshire 3mb
- Application form for a street party or a small community event
Application for a street party or small community event 37kb
- Application for the hire of parks, open spaces and Wiltshire Council property Application for the hire of parks, open spaces and Wiltshire Council property 335kb
Last updated: 17 February 2014