Giving power back to the people
What is an area board?
The area boards are a way of working to bring local decision making back into the heart of the community. They are a formal part of Wiltshire Council that try to find solutions for local issues such as road repairs, traffic problems and speeding in villages, litter, facilities for young people and affordable housing.
People who work with the 18 area boards include councillors, community area managers, democratic service officers together with one member of the council’s top decision making committee, the cabinet. It also includes the local NHS, fire and emergency services, police, town and parish councils, community area partnerships and many other groups.
By working in partnership with local communities, the council can achieve so much more than it ever could on its own. We hope this will lead to better services, better communities and a better quality of life for everyone in Wiltshire.
Below is a list of area boards across Wiltshire, to find out how to get involved or what decisions are being made locally, click on an area which is local to you.
- Bradford on Avon
- Southern Wiltshire
- South West Wiltshire
- Royal Wootton Bassett & Cricklade
- Report an issue to your area board
- Track an issue in your area
- Contact your area board
- Community Grants Scheme check out the capital and revenue guidance.
- View a short film about the area boards
- The Local Agreement for Wiltshire (LAW)
- Community Area Transport Group
- Our Community Matters - websites set up with NHS Wiltshire, Wiltshire Police, Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service and Salisbury City Council, as part of our commitment to help strengthen local communities.
- Area Board Practice Papers Area Board Practice Papers 468kb
- Community Engagement Manager Localities
- Highways area boards Highways area boards 443kb
- Communications Area Board Practice Papers Communications Area Board Practice Papers 137kb
- Community Asset Transfer Area Board Practice Papers Community Asset Transfer Area Board Practice Papers 217kb
- Community asset transfer application form.doc Community Asset Transfer Application Form 510kb
- Councillor-led Project Area Board Grant Criteria
- Dealing with Issues Area Board Practice Papers Dealing with Issues Area Board Practice Papers 167kb
- Roles & Powers Area Board Practice Papers Roles & Powers Area Board Practice Papers 172kb
Last updated: 4 August 2016