Our Commitment to Equality and Inclusion
The council is firmly committed to the principles of equality and inclusion in both employment and the delivery of services. We are keen to celebrate the diversity of people who live and work in Wiltshire.
This means making our services accessible to all, treating people fairly and providing a fully inclusive working environment.
We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination and are committed to building a workforce which broadly reflects the diversity of the local community. By working with partner agencies, organisations and community groups, we can promote equality and inclusion within Wiltshire.
To reflect this commitment and our Public Sector Equality Duty obligations under the Equality Act, we work to the following principles:
- The information that we provide – for instance, through the Wiltshire magazine and our website – will be continually improved so that it better reflects the diversity of the local community and is accessible
- We will pay due regard to equality and inclusion issues in all of our decision making, including when we develop new policies and when carrying out large programmes of work (e.g. transforming services, building new homes)
- When working with partners, including contractors, we will continually ensure that robust consideration is given to equality and inclusion issues.
- Our service provision will become more inclusive through actively monitoring and responding to the needs and preferences of our diverse community.
- We will actively engage and empower under-represented groups through the broadening of our consultation processes and the strengthening of our links with community representatives.
- We will build a workforce that can broadly reflect the diversity of the local community, improving access to careers within the council.
- In order to improve the way we provide services, equality and inclusion will be embedded in the practice of staff and managers through training, monitoring and development
The Wiltshire Councillor responsible for overseeing equality and inclusion is Councillor Allison Bucknell at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have a Corporate steering group Corporate Steering Group 60kb working specifically on equality and inclusion. This group is made up of various members of staff representing the different service areas across the council. It is chaired by Councillor Allison Bucknell.
Tel: 0300 456 0100
Last updated: 18 December 2014