If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Finding private rented accommodation

Please tell us what you think about our website, we welcome your feedback.

Shortcuts for finding private rented accommodation

How to find a property

What do you need to think about before you start looking?

  • the type of property you need (bedsit, flat, house, bungalow)
  • are you ok with stairs or do you need ground floor accommodation?
  • what areas do you want to live in?
  • how much rent can you afford to pay?
  • how much deposit will you have to pay?

Claiming Housing Benefit?

If you are planning on claiming Housing Benefit you will need to think about the level that you could be entitled to. Housing Benefit rules are that you need one bedroom for each of the following:

  • A couple who live together
  • Someone else in the household who is 16 or over
  • Two children of the same sex
  • Two children of any sex who are younger than 10
    (A child is someone under 16)

And the following (maximum) number of living rooms:

Number of people Number of rooms
1-3 people 1 living room
4-5 people 2 living rooms
6+ people 3 living rooms

If you are single and aged under 25 your Housing Benefit will be assessed differently (Single Room Rent) which means you will usually only be able to rent one room (e.g. a bedsit, or a room in a shared house)

If you have more rooms than this, Housing Benefit may not cover some of your rent and you will need to make up the difference yourself. You should contact your local Housing Benefit department to find out more information and make sure the property is right for you.

You will also need to think about how long you have to find somewhere and move. If you need to move within a short space of time you may wish to widen the areas you'd be happy to live in to give yourself more choice and a better chance of finding somewhere suitable.

Download our factsheet: PDFA guide to private renting factsheet A Guide to Private Renting 54kb

Where do I look for properties?

Local press

Wiltshire times, Salisbury Journal, Trade It and the Western Daily Press regularly advertise rented properties.

Notice boards

Local shop windows / community notice boards / supermarket notice boards or anywhere where people may advertise. Landlords often advertise available properties here.

Specialist websites

Web sites such as Zoopla, Propertywide and Rightmove advertise available properties.

Housesharing websites

Sharing a house or flat with others can be a good way to cut the costs of renting in the private sector. Websites such as Flatmaterooms and Houseshare let you post adverts for a houseshare and search for other people in the area who are also looking to share a property.

Letting and management agents

Agents manage properties on behalf of private landlords. Agents should not charge you to just to look for a property. If you find a property through an agent you will often be charged a fee - usually one third of a month's rent plus VAT. This fee may be non-refundable.

They will also require a deposit and up to two months rent in advance. Wiltshire Council cannot recommend individual letting and management agents but we can provide a list of local letting agents in Wiltshire.

Town Letting Agent Contact number
Calne Charles Faye: 25 High Street, Calne SN11 0BS

Tel: 01249 822 555

Calne Your Move: 1 Wood Street, Calne, SN11 0BZ Tel: 01249 813
Chippenham Martin & Co.: 7 Market Place, Chippenham, SN15 3HD Tel: 01249 460 783
Chippenham Michael Antony: 7 New Road, Chippenham, SN15 1HH

Tel: 01249 653 000

Chippenham Strakers: 33/34 Market Place, Chippenham, SN15 3HP 

Tel: 01249 652 717

Corsham Elliot Properties: 17 Pickwick Road, Corsham, SN13 9BQ

Tel: 01249 714 717

Corsham Strakers: 6 High Street, Corsham, SN13 0HB Tel: 01249 712 039
Cricklade M Lettings: 48 High Street, Cricklade, SN6 6DA Tel: 01793 752 157
Devizes Belvoir!: 19 High Street, Devizes, SN10 1AT Tel: 01380 726 129
Devizes Philip O’Shea: 40 St John’s Street, Devizes, SN10 1BL Tel: 01380 720 400
Devizes Strakers: 6/7 Market Place, Devizes, SN10 1HT

Tel: 01380 723 451

Marloborough Carter Jonas: 93 High Street, Marlborough, SN8 1HD Tel: 01672 519 700
Melksham Jayson Kent: 35 Market Place, Melksham, SN12 6ES

Tel: 01225 707 798

Salisbury Gem Estate & Lettings Agents: 1 Windsor Road, SP4 8AA   Tel: 01980 654 888
Swindon ATC Management: 167 Victorian Road, SN1 3BU  Tel: 01793 618 691
Swindon Market Right: 33/33 Commercial Road, SN1 5NS Tel: 01793 486 622
Swindon McFarlane: 27/28 Devizes Road, Old Town, SN1 4BG Tel: 01793 611 841
Swindon Orchard Properties: 28 Bath Road, Old Town, SN1 4BA  Tel: 01793 619 419
Trowbridge Soul Residential: 7 Narrow Wine Street, Trowbridge, BA14 8EN Tel: 01225 754 198
Trowbridge Wright Residential: 44a Castle St., Trowbridge, BA14 8AY Tel: 01225 755 553
Trowbridge Northwood: 4 Fore Street, Trowbridge, BA14 8HD Tel: 01225 763 105
Trowbridge Complete Lettings: 11a Silver St., Trowbridge, BA14 8AA Tel: 01225 760 016
Trowbridge Layzell Property Lets: 7 Church St., Trowbridge, BA14 8DR Tel: 01225 751 819
Trowbridge WSB Group: 54 Castle Street, Trowbridge, BA14 8AU Tel: 01225 716 400
Warminster Northwood: 8 Market Place, Warminster, BA12 8AN Tel: 01985 220 290
Warminster Upsalls: 70 Market Place, Warminster, BA12 9AW  Tel: 01985 847 846
Warminster WSB Group: 44-46 Market Place, Warminster, BA12 9AN Tel: 01985 215 000
Westbury Modern Lets: 54 Warminster Road, Westbury, BA13 3PF Tel: 01373 824 958
Westbury Smart Property: 12 Maristow Road, Westbury, BA13 3DN Tel: 01373 826 999
Westbury Davies & Davies: 12 High Street, Westbury, BA13 3BW Tel: 01373 859 944

Please contact us if you require further information.

Contact details

Wiltshire Council’s Housing Options teams offer free advice and assistance to people at risk of losing their home or who are experiencing housing problems. Our offices are open from 8.30am - 5.30pm, Monday to Friday:

If you would like to visit your local office it would be helpful if you could bring along the following documentation:

  • ID
  • Proof of income
  • Child benefit / Tax credit information
  • National Insurance number

Additional documentation may include;

  • Tenancy Agreement
  • Eviction Notice (e.g. s21 Notice)
  • Court Orders
  • Bailiff Warrant
  • Letters from mortgage lender
  • Mortgage statements
  • Any supporting medical evidence such as GP letter and confirmation of medication.

Your local offices:


Wiltshire Council
Monkton Park
SN15 1ER

Telephone: 01249 706666

Fax: 01249 444650

Email: homeless@wiltshire.gov.uk
Salisbury Wiltshire Council
27-29 Milford Street

Telephone: 01722 434233

Fax: 01722 434530

Email: homeless@wiltshire.gov.uk
Trowbridge Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
BA14 8JN

Telephone: 01225 718005

Fax: 01225 770316

Email: homeless@wiltshire.gov.uk

Contact Details (LiveLink)

Multiple Contacts:
Out of hours:
Postal Address:
In Person:

Related information

Related documents

Last updated: 9 January 2014



This website