If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

What happens if my circumstances change?

Customer notice

We are currently updating our website with a cleaner, mobile-friendly design. This page will be updated with the new design soon. Thank you for your patience.

Please tell us what you think about our website, we welcome your feedback.

If there are any changes in your circumstances after you make an application for Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction you must let us know immediately. Don’t rely on someone else to tell us.

Phone us first

The easiest way to let us know is to ring us and tell us what has changed. We will then be able to tell you if we need any more information and we might be able to change your claim without you needing to do anything else.

You can also let us know what has changed by writing a letter to us, completing and returning our PDFBenefits - change of circumstances form change of circumstances form 93kb  or making a statement in an interview at your local council office.

The following are examples of the sort of changes of circumstances you need to tell us about:

  • you or your partner start or stop receiving Income Support (IS), Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • you start working, change your job, or your hours or income changes
  • someone joins or leaves your household (including the addition of a new baby)
  • the amount of any benefits you get changes (eg. tax credits increase)
  • you start to receive any additional benefits
  • you move house
  • your rent changes
  • you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than a month
  • if you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a youth training scheme, goes into hospital or a nursing home, goes into prison, or gets, changes or leaves a job
  • you receive any decision from the Home Office

These are only examples of the sorts of changes we need to know about. You should tell us about any change in circumstance and we will let you know if it will affect your claim.

Supporting proof

When reporting a change of circumstance you must supply full proof of what the change is, when it happened and any supporting documentary evidence. If you or your partner have moved or started work, you will probably need to complete a new application form as well. Please contact us for advice.

If you receive Pension Credit

If you receive Pension Credit (either Guarantee or Savings Credit) then any changes to your income or capital should be reported to The Pension Service

If you receive Pension Credit (either Guarantee or Savings Credit) we still need to know about changes to your rent and who lives in your household.

If you receive Savings Credit and your capital increases to more than £16,000 you are no longer entitled to Housing or Council Tax Reduction and you must inform us immediately of this change.

It is an offence not to tell us about any change of circumstances that affects your benefit and we may take court action against you. If we pay you too much benefit, you may also have to pay it back.

Contact Details (LiveLink)

Multiple Contacts:

Call Us:
0300 456 0110

Please send your enquiries to:
Benefits Service
Wiltshire Council
Monkton Park
SN15 1ER

Please send all payments to:
PO Box 2310


Out of hours:
Postal Address:
In Person:

Last updated: 22 March 2013



This website