The Eat Out Eat Well award has been developed to reward caterers who make it easier for their customers to make healthy choices when eating out. It has three levels – bronze, silver, and gold. The level of award is based on a scoring system that takes into account the type of food on offer, cooking methods and how you promote it to your customers. The higher the score, the higher the level of award. To get a gold award, key members of staff will need accredited/recognised training in nutrition.Close
We want to encourage food businesses to provide healthier options to customers by increasing fruit, vegetables and starchy carbohydrates, and decreasing fat, especially saturated fat, sugar and salt in the food that they offer. It also recognises provision of healthy options for children, and rewards staff training and promotion and marketing of healthier options.Close
The average person eats one in six meals outside the home. Research by the Food Standards Agency suggested that consumers felt that healthy eating was an important influencing factor when deciding what food to eat both inside and outside the home. Obesity is a growing epidemic in the UK and causes more than 30,000 deaths a year in England alone. Diet plays a major role in heart disease and has been linked to some cancers. It’s more important than ever for food outlets to help consumers make the right choices.
The award is assessed and managed by our Public Protection service.
The Eat Out Eat Well award is good for:
- You, your business and your customers.
- You could make a huge contribution to improving your customers' diet and health by providing healthier food choices.
- You'll have public recognition for achieving the award and could enhance your image as a responsible business that puts its customers first. It could give you a competitive edge and increase customer satisfaction as the demand for healthier choices continue to grow – many manufacturers and retailers who have introduced healthier options are seeing growth in sales.
- Your customers will be able to benefit from the freedom to select a healthy option, giving them more control over what they choose to eat that will ultimately benefit their health.
- This free award is open to all types of catering establishment that cater for the general public. This could include restaurants, cafes, canteens, catering businesses and more.
To achieve an award your business will be assessed against certain criteria that are based on the principles of a healthy balanced diet, such as keeping fat, sugar and salt to a minimum, making fruit and vegetables widely available and basing main meals on starchy carbohydrates. You will also be assessed on marketing and promotion of healthier options. The award is free for businesses to enter. If you are interested in achieving an Eat Out Eat Well award, please contact:
Food Health and Safety Team
Food Health and Safety Team
Please return this form to:
Eat Out Eat Well, Public Protection, County Hall, Bythesea Road, Trowbridge, Wiltshire BA14 8JN