Exit Accessibility View

Carers frequently asked questions

  • No
  • It is a private agreement between you and the parent, but we have to make sure that a social worker is involved
  • The parent should arrange to pay you for the upkeep of the child
  • Any financial arrangements are the responsibility of the parent and you
  • You may find it helpful to have a written agreement with the parent of the child
The local authority has a duty to satisfy themselves that the welfare of privately fostered children is being satisfactorily safeguarded and promoted. They will:
  • Make regular visits to see that children are safe and well cared for
  • Check different aspects of the private fostering arrangement to make sure that the arrangement is a suitable one, including carrying out checks on the private foster carers and their premises
  • Provide the necessary advice to private foster carers
  • The Local Authority does not approve private foster carers but:

  • They have the power to stop a person from private fostering if the carer or the accommodation is not suitable
  • If they consider something is not satisfactory, they can make the carer take action to sort out the problem, for example, by installing fire guards or smoke alarms
  • The child's welfare is the most important thing and the social worker will continue to be involved while the child is with you

The child's welfare is paramount. If during the assessment process Wiltshire Council Children's services feel that the arrangements are not suitable or meeting the child's needs then we may need to look at alternative arrangements for caring for the child.

If during visits to the home to monitor the placement, the social worker feels that the placement is not suitable then extra support may be offered. However, if the child is not looked after properly we can stop you from being a private foster carer.

  • If you are privately fostering a child and you have forgotten to tell us, don't worry. It is never too late
  • Get in touch with us as soon as you can
  • If you do not tell us, it means that we cannot support the child and ensure their needs are met

Private foster carers must offer:

  • the child a safe and loving place to live and help the child keep in touch with their own family and a social worker
  • tell the local authority if anyone else comes to live with them and when the child leaves their care, stating why and giving the name and address of the person into whose care the child has been moved
  • Contact us for further information or to notify us of a private fostering arrangement
  • Yes
  • You need to tell us about significant changes during the private fostering arrangements within 48 hours

This may include:

  • If you change address
  • If someone is joining or leaving your household
  • If any member of the household has court convictions, disqualifications from fostering or limits on how many you can foster
  • If the privately fostered child dies


doc icon

Private Fostering PF1 Notification Form

Private Fostering PF1 Notification Form

Size 74kb

Share this page

Last updated: 20 February 2018 | Last reviewed: 20 February 2018