Exit Accessibility View

Agreement for chargeable garden waste collection

Agreement for chargeable garden waste collection - terms and conditions

This agreement is made between the person requesting and paying for the service (the applicant) and Wiltshire Council (the council), and governs the fortnightly collection of garden waste.

We will process your personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2016.

We will not share your personal data with third parties without your permission. The data you provide in order to receive a chargeable garden waste service will be kept secure in the council's databases. It may be shared with our appointed partners in order to provide you with this service.

The policies which govern our use of your data are outlined in our privacy policy and the waste services data subjects' information notice (these links will open in a new window).

  • The council and its contractors will only collect garden waste that is contained in the designated garden waste container which is displaying a valid annual sticker supplied by the council. Only garden waste bins displaying a valid sticker will be emptied. Please affix the sticker under the handles of your garden waste bin so it is clearly visible
  • Garden waste must be presented at the kerbside by 7am on the day of collection. Containers should be placed at the edge of properties, at the kerbside with the bin handle facing out towards the road or at a point on any shared private access nearest to a publicly adopted vehicular highway
  • Containers for garden waste should be removed from the kerbside as soon as possible after collection but no later than 10pm on the day of collection
  • Lids of wheeled bins must be fully closed. The council and its contractors will not empty bins when the lids are not fully closed. Lids must be closed for the bins to be lifted safely without risk of falling off the bin lift.
  • The council and its contractors will collect waste on bank and public holidays except where these fall on 25 December, 26 December or 1 January. Collection days may be subject to change but this will be publicised in advance, use the rubbish collection calendar to find out when your rubbish and recycling will be collected
  • The council will suspend garden waste collections for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period for operational reasons. If the service is suspended at any time due to inclement weather the council and its contractors will provide an additional collection in order to catch up
  • The council and its contractors reserves the right not to empty any container that in its reasonable opinion poses a health and safety risk to operatives. The council and its contractors will require the applicant to reduce the weight of garden waste in containers before any further attempt is made to empty them
  • Should the contents of bins be frozen or compacted the council and its contractors will endeavour to release the contents but some waste may remain in the bin. The council and its contractors is unable to return to empty the frozen or compacted bins before the next collection
  • A new agreement requesting payment will be automatically sent out annually in order for the service to continue for the next 12 months. If the payment is not received prior to the expiration of your current agreement, we will assume that you no longer require the service and your collections will cease
  • The applicant may terminate this agreement by giving one month's written notice. No refunds will be given
  • The council normally reviews its charges annually but reserves the right to vary charges with reasonable notice at any time
  • Any container provided shall remain the property of the council
  • When you move house all bins should be left at the property. Contact the council to inform us that you are moving so we can collect your garden waste bin or ask the new occupant if they wish to receive the service. If you are moving to a different property in Wiltshire and would like to continue to receive a charged garden waste collection at your new property we can transfer your contract to your new property and will ensure that a bin is available at your new house. If you are moving outside of Wiltshire or would like to cancel your contract you can do so but you would not be entitled to a refund
  • During the life of this agreement the applicant shall be responsible for the container, its cleanliness and the cleanliness of the site around the container

The applicant is responsible for keeping the container safe and secure. In the event of the container being lost, stolen or damaged the applicant may be required to pay the council for the cost of an equivalent replacement container and its delivery. Such costs shall be payable by the applicant to the council on demand and shall be recoverable by the council as a debt. The council will carry out routine repairs to containers where the council reasonably considers it necessary due to normal wear and tear, or damage caused by the council during the emptying operation.


Share this page

Last updated: 18 March 2020 | Last reviewed: 18 March 2020