If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Young carers

Customer notice

We are currently updating our website with a cleaner, mobile-friendly design. This page will be updated with the new design soon. Thank you for your patience.

Please tell us what you think about our website, we welcome your feedback.

A young carer is a child or young person who cares for another person. This may be someone in their family who needs looking after because they have a disability or an illness. It could be a brother, sister, parent or grandparent. Young carers should not have to do so much caring that it makes them upset, unwell or miss school.

The PDFWiltshire Handbook for Carers Wiltshire Handbook for Carers 1mb has some useful information for carers and you can get a copy free from your GP surgery or library. There is also useful information in Wiltshire’s Little Book, for children and young people on support for wellbeing and mental health.

If you are a young carer, you can sometimes forget to look after yourself. It can be hard for your friends and teachers to understand exactly what you have to do each day and why you need to do it. You may not get the chance to go out with your friends or do your homework. Caring for someone is tough – both physically and emotionally. You may skip school sometimes to try and fit everything in and you might worry a lot about things at home.

The information on this page is specifically for young carers but these pages have a lot of information for carers that you might also find useful.

Keeping young carers and the people they care for safe

Young carers can find that caring for someone takes up a lot of their time and it can sometimes be very difficult for them to cope with everything, even when they want to and are happy to do it.

You should tell someone as soon as possible if you:

  • Think a child or young person is at risk of significant harm
  • Are a child or young person caring for someone who you think is being abused
  • Are a child or young person and the person you are caring for has aggressive behaviour towards you
  • Are a child or young person and you feel under great strain or stress and are becoming worried that you may hurt the person you care for

If you are a young carer or are worried about a young carer you should contact the children's services multi agency safeguarding hub (MASH) on 0300 4560108 or, if you need help out of hours contact the emergency duty service on 0845 6070 888 or, if there is immediate danger or a child is injured, phone 999. You can also speak to someone you trust such as your family, a teacher, a doctor or an organisation that supports you. If nothing happens after this then it is important that you tell someone different.

Services for young carers

Young carers can attend any or all of the services provided by these organisations:

Spurgeons Logo

Services for young carers in Wiltshire are provided by Spurgeons, the national children’s charity.

If you (or someone you know):

  • Spends the majority of their time outside of school caring for a relative
  • Lives in Wiltshire or is at school in Wiltshire
  • Is aged between 5 and 25 years

You can access lots of different services for help and support like:

  • 1 to 1 mentoring and peer support
  • Getting involved in activities in your community
  • Trips and activities to give you a break.  
  • Someone to talk to, especially if someone close to you dies, and support and advice around things like self-esteem, confidence, bullying, anxiety and stress.
  • Extra support when you move from primary to secondary school, and when it’s time to move on from school to something else like further education, training or finding a job.
  • Someone to speak up for you and make sure that your views are heard and respected by the adults that are making decisions about you
  • If you’re a carer aged between 15-25 years you can also access adult carer support services

Spurgeons will also give you advice on the phone, and tell you about other agencies which may be able to help you. They want to make sure every young carer and adult young carer who needs support is able to access the service and that nobody is left behind.

If you feel you might need some extra help you can talk to a range of professionals, for example a teacher, a youth worker, family support worker or maybe even a social worker if you have one. They can all contact Spurgeons on your behalf.

You or your parents can also contact Spurgeons by phone on 01225 701820 or email sycwadmin@spurgeons.org or you can find more information on the Spurgeons website.

Other Wiltshire based community organisations who support young carers

Community First Logo

Community First's young carers service, is there to help keep young carers safe in their caring role and can offer young carers a break and the chance to try something new, for example you could try doing the ASDAN Young Carers Award, or taking part in the Bath Philharmonic music project. They also offer support for older young carers around looking for work.

For more information on individual projects you can call 01380 720671 or email youngcarers@youthactionwiltshire.org or visit the Community First Youth Action Wiltshire website

Related documents

Useful links

Contact Details (LiveLink)

Multiple Contacts:
eMail: customeradvisors@wiltshire.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 456 0111
Out of hours:
Postal Address:
In Person:

Last updated: 3 March 2016



This website