A4 Cross keys, CorshamWiltshire Council will be undertaking work to replace the traffic signals on the A4 Cross Keys junction in Corsham. The traffic signals are reaching the end of there life expectancy and has been highlighted as one of the most vunerable traffic signal installations in Wiltshire. The work will be funded by the Department of Transport with Wiltshire Council also allocating funds to upgrade the system.
|Work Begins||22 July 2019|
|Full Road closures of Biddestone Road & Cross Keys installed||22 July 2019|
|Site Clearance||Late July|
|Construction Phase||Late July - Late August|
|Carriageway Surfacing||Late August|
|Work Completion||Early September|
A recent study has been completed by Atkins on behalf of Wiltshire Council to assess the current condition and future life expectancy of traffic signal installations across the county of Wiltshire. The study sought to identify the most vulnerable installations in terms of age and “wear and tear”. One of the most vulnerable installations is the traffic signal junction at A4 Cross Keys / Biddestone Rd, Corsham. Following receipt of funding from the Department of Transport Wiltshire Council will use some of this funding to refurbish and upgrade the traffic signal junction at A4 Cross Keys/Biddestone Rd Corsham. As part of the works changes to the kerb alignment on the A4 will be made to reduce vehicle conflict.Close
The main work will involve
- Removal of the existing traffic signals
- Altered kerbline on the A4 to reduce vehicle conflict
- Installation of refurbished/upgraded traffic signals
- Provision of pedestrian facilities on A4 Bath Rd within the refurbished signal junction.
- Re-surfaced footways with coloured surfacing
- Improved signing and lining
The main works started week commencing 22 July 2019.
The main works are to be delivered during the Wiltshire School summer holidays which notionally start around the end of July. Traffic flows are at there lowest during the school summer holidays, it was therefore decided in an effort to minimise disruption that works would take place during this period.
Efforts will be made to reduce the impact of works to highway users. A number of methods will be used during the construction period such as:
- Closure of Cross Keys Rd and Biddestone Rd rather than the need for temporary 4 way lights at all times
- Closure of Cross Keys Rd and Biddestone Rd which shorten the duration of the works
- Closure of the A4 Bath Rd will only be undertaken at night
- Advanced Information Signs displayed
- Use of Twitter @WiltshireRoads to keep residents and drivers informed
- Regular updates via website
- Liaison with other works nearby
Yes there will be a programme of works at night to minimise disruption throughout the day.
The contractor will provide a programme of works outlining exactly how they plan to deliver the scheme.
The programme of traffic changes and any planned road closures will be shown on this webpage and also published on the @WiltshireRoads twitter account.