We maintain the Highway Records which show the extent of the roads, paths and verges that the Council is responsible for maintaining as Highway Authority and provide information regarding public and adopted highways.
We maintain the Registers of Common Land and Town and Village Greens and provide information regarding these. These are areas of land registered under the Commons Registration Act 1968 and Commons Act 2006. Common Land tends to be land that is subject to rights of common. These rights are owned by individuals and include activities such as grazing animals and collecting wood. Town and Village Greens are generally land that is used by the public for sports and past times.
We provide replies to highway related enquiries on the Enquiries of Local Authority Search form (Con29Required and Con29Optional) through the Local Land Charges Section. The search is a statutory requirement in any property or land-based transaction and reveals any planning, environmental health, financial and highway restrictions recorded upon the search subject.
Highway Records are consulted by the Local Land Charges Section regarding replies to the following enquiries:
2 Roads and Public Rights of Way
3.2 Land to be acquired for Road Works
3.4 Nearby Road Schemes
3.5 Nearby Railway Schemes
3.6 Traffic Schemes
3.12 Compulsory Purchase for highway purposes
- 7 Parks and Countryside
- 16 Mineral Consultation Areas
- 22 Common Land, Town and Village Greens
- Enquiries may be made by telephone, letter or email regarding extent of highway
- In most circumstances there will be a fee payable for providing replies and plans
An appointment may also be made to view the records during office hours.Close
- An appointment is required to view the Highway Records and associated information
- Opening hours for Personal Searchers are Monday to Thursday 10am - 12 noon and 2pm - 4pm
- Fees quoted apply from April 2020
- Payment can be made by cheque (payable to Wiltshire Council) or card
- If you wish to make a payment by card, please contact Highway Records on any of the numbers below
- BACS payments available on request.
*Prices below include VAT
|Highway and Public Rights of Way Enquiry (Includes extent of public highway and location of public rights of way)||£88 per hour (minimum fee £65)*|
|Public Rights of Way only||£60.50 per hour (minimum fee £30.50)*|
|Common Land and Village Green Enquiry||£30.50 per enquiry*|