Exit Accessibility View

Highway records

We maintain the Highway Records which show the extent of the roads, paths and verges that the Council is responsible for maintaining as Highway Authority and provide information regarding public/ adopted highways.

We maintain the Registers of Common Land and Town and Village Greens and provide information regarding these. These are areas of land registered under the Commons Registration Act 1968 and Commons Act 2006. Common Land tends to be land that is subject to rights of common. These rights are owned by individuals and include activities such as grazing animals and collecting wood. Town and Village Greens are generally land that is used by the public for sports and past times.

We provide replies to highway related enquiries on the Enquiries of Local Authority Search form (Con29Required and Con29Optional) through the Local Land Charges Section. The search is a statutory requirement in any property or land-based transaction and reveals any planning, environmental health, financial and highway restrictions recorded upon the search subject. 

  • Forms LLC1 and Con29R and Con29O should be submitted to Local Land Charges at the relevant area office.
  • Highway Records are consulted by the Local Land Charges Section regarding replies to the following enquiries.

Highway Records are consulted by the Local Land Charges Section regarding replies to the following enquiries:

2 Roads and Public Rights of Way
3.2 Land to be acquired for Road Works
3.4 Nearby Road Schemes
3.5 Nearby Railway Schemes
3.6 Traffic Schemes
3.12 Compulsory Purchase for highway purposes

  • 7 Parks and Countryside
  • 16 Mineral Consultation Areas
  • 22 Common Land, Town & Village Greens
  • Enquiries may be made by telephone, letter or email regarding extent of highway
  • In most circumstances there will be a fee payable for providing replies and plans
  • Highway extent information is charged at £63.60 per hour (minimum fee £47)

An appointment may also be made to view the records during office hours.

  • An appointment is required to view the Highway Records and associated information
  • Opening hours for Personal Searchers are Monday to Thursday 10.00am - 12.00pm and 2.00pm - 4.00pm
  • Fees quoted apply from April 2018
  • Payment can be made by cheque (payable to Wiltshire Council) or card
  • If you wish to make a payment by card, please contact Highway Records on any of the numbers below
  • BACS payments available on request.
Fee Payable
Highway and Public Rights of Way Enquiry (Includes extent of public highway and location of public rights of way)
£63.60 per hour (minimum fee £47.00)
Public Rights of Way only
£44.00 per hour (minimum fee £22.10)
Common Land and Village Green Enquiry
£22.10 per enquiry

By telephone

  • 01225 713043
  • 01225 713045
  • 01225 713048

Write to us

  • Highway Records, Bythesea Road, County Hall, Trowbridge,Wiltshire,BA14 8JD
  • DX (Document Exchange)
  • DX 116892 Trowbridge 3

By email

Visit us

  • Highway Records, Wiltshire Council,Ascot Court, Aintree Avenue,White Horse Business Park,Trowbridge, BA14 0XA


Personal search appointments can be made between the following hours:
•Monday to Thursday 10.00am - 12.00pm then 2.00pm - 4.00pm
•Appointments may be made for 1 hour (maximum per day) or 30 minutes (minimum).

The Highway Records can be viewed at the Ascot Court address. We operate an appointments system on a 'first come, first served' basis. We ask that you book at least 24 hours in advance by telephoning on one of the numbers above. We will make every effort to comply with your request for early access to the records, but there may be occasions where, due to high levels of demand or other reasons, this is not practicable. In these cases you will be advised of the reasons and an alternative date suggested. If you are unable to make the appointment, please let us know. Please observe any time restriction that may be attached to your appointment.


Share this page

Last updated: 22 May 2018 | Last reviewed: 22 May 2018