Exit Accessibility View

Streets and street care

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

During the COVID-19 situation, Highways and Amenity services are following the current Government guidance and undertaking essential repairs and maintenance. Highways planned works will be completed where appropriate and resources allow.

First point of information

Anyone wishing to construct a private vehicle access from the highway into their property must apply to us for permission to do so under the Section 184 Highways Act 1980.

Applications apply to any proposed new dropped kerb, including an extension of an existing dropped kerb, or a property that does not have a kerb outside but still wishes to enter the property from the highway. The license also applies to anyone with an informative on an approved planning permission.

Our team in vehicle access work with Wiltshire Council’s area highways engineers and the planning department to fully assess each application before granting permission. The application is for the license only and not for the works themselves.

Our application pack includes notes on how to complete the application form along with the current highway specification. In the interest of safety and liability it is essential that all works are undertaken by an appropriately licensed contractor. You can select any contractor but they must hold public liability insurance for a minimum of £5million and street works accreditation: they will need to provide documentary evidence if the council does not already hold up-to-date copies of these documents. 

In some circumstances planning permission may be required: on receipt of your application, the vehicle access team make enquiries on your behalf to the council’s planning department and will inform you if you require planning consent.

Any access that crosses over public land will need the landowner’s permission and should be attached to any application submitted.

If you are a council or housing association tenant or you rent your property, please first obtain the consent of your landlord before applying and enclose their written agreement with the return of the application form. 

A diagram will be required as part of the application to show the extent of the works. Please ensure that the diagram shows the proposed works including measurements and the number of kerbs that are proposed to be altered as part of the application.

Wiltshire Council will provide a list of utility providers in Wiltshire within your license pack when permission is granted. It is the responsibility of your contractor to ensure that they have contacted any statutory undertakers and provided an accurate description and location of the proposed works and to then comply with any conditions specified.

From 1 April 2020, an application for a vehicle crossing will carry a fee of £222.35. 

From 1 April 2020, we will be introducing a fee for retrospective applications and applications received following enforcement action for an unlawful access. 

Applicants are responsible for all costs of the actual construction worked involved.

Work must not commence until written authorisation is issued.


Please use the application form and specification which can be found in the downloads section and submit along with the correct fee. Applications take around 8 to 12 weeks to be processed once a completed application has been received. 

This application form is only for vehicle accesses onto unclassified roads. 

Please see the subject information notice found in the downloads section for information on how we will use the data you supply as part of your application.

Telephone 01225 713352

Email vehicleaccess@wiltshire.gov.uk 


Do you have an approved list of contractors?

We do not have an approved list of contractors, but we are currently working on a register of contractors who have provided us with their insurance and liability documentation and relevant qualification information. This will become available in the near future.

Can you post an application to me?

As we streamline the service we are moving towards digital applications. If you are unable to access our application form digitally then we can post one to you.

How long will my application take?

Our turnaround for applications is between 8 to 12 weeks unless there is a complication with the application. Please plan accordingly to accommodate this. 

Will I need planning permission to construct an access?

In some cases, planning permission will be required. As part of our application we will make enquiries about planning on your behalf to the council’s planning department. 

Can I have the licence without choosing a contractor?

Our license must have a contractor attached as we need to know that they have the correct insurance and liability cover, as well as the correct qualifications to undertake the works.


Street light maintenance

We are responsible for the following street furniture maintained on its behalf by Ringway Infrastructure Services (RIS).

  • Street lighting columns
  • Illuminated road signs
  • Illuminated traffic bollards
  • School twin flashing lights
  • Zebra crossing flashing amber beacons
  • Bus shelter lights (for Passenger information update systems please contact Passenger Transport)

Report a fault with a street light online or contact us directly. 

The majority of electrical cables supplying street lighting are owned by the electricity supply company SSE. If you are a contractor and an electric cable strike occurs, it should be reported directly to SSE Emergency/Cable Strike team on 0800 0727282. You will need to provide full location details such as street and town, or the post code. The damaged cable should not be covered over in anyway, and the responsible contractor should remain on site until SSE attend and make safe, which should be within two hours of reporting the issue.

To find out more about the ongoing LED street lighting project in Wiltshire see our dedicated page.


Fly tipping

  • Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of waste and is a criminal offence. Fly tippers can be fined up to £50,000 (this amount is unlimited if convicted in a Crown Court) and even be sent to prison for up to five years
  • Report fly tipping

Dog mess

  • Dog owners must, by law, pick up any mess made by their pets in public places such as roads, footpaths, school playing fields, sports fields and parks
  • Our enforcement officers can issue on-the-spot fixed penalty notices to offenders
  • To report dog fouling please email the dog warden at lostdogs@wiltshire.gov.uk or report an issue online

Dog mess is classed as litter. We will only attend sites where a number of deposits of dog mess and/or litter are present at one location.

Fly Posting

  • Fly posting is an offence and offenders can be fined up to £2500. Any illegal advertising will be removed by the council without notice
  • We will take reasonable steps to find the origin of signage and remove where appropriate


  • We will take steps to remove or obscure graffiti on any council owned property
  • Graffiti is the illegal placing of words or pictures that are drawn, painted, written or carved on walls and other surfaces. Our enforcement officers can issue on-the-spot fixed penalty notices and will report offenders to the police.
  • Graffiti will be categorised on whether it is offensive or non-offensive 
  • If the graffiti is of an offensive nature then we will look to remove it. if this is not possible, then it will be obscured by either over-painting or via another suitable method within an accelerated timeframe
  • If the graffiti is of a non-offensive nature, this can be removed through the Parish steward scheme. The Parish steward tasks are prioritised by the Town or Parish Council and therefore the completion time will be influenced by them
  • Where graffiti is on private property it is the responsibility of the owner to remove and is a planning enforcement issue or Amenity Enforcement issue

To report graffiti on utility owned sub stations please contact the utility company:

Street litter and public litter bins

Our street cleaning teams pick up litter and empty litter bins on a regular basis.

Town centre bins are checked and emptied daily with smaller areas done weekly or fortnightly.

  • A limited number of litter bins will be provided across the county
  • Litter bins will be placed in identified high user areas
  • Town and parish councils can provide litter bins and collections in their areas
  • Dropping litter on private or public land, parks, pavements, roads and rivers, including cigarette butts and chewing gum is an offence and our enforcement officers can issue on-the-spot fixed penalty notices.
  • Identified town centres on week days will be at Grade A standard by 8am in accordance with the Code of Practice on Litter and Refuse
  • We will remove litter where present at an unacceptable level (Code of Practice for Litter and Refuse) when reported
  • Litter reports on high speed roads and verges are responded to within the times as set out in the Code of Practice on Litter and refuse. Where response times are subject to overriding due to health and safety and/or traffic management requirement all reports submitted through the My Wiltshire online reporting system for litter picking will be closed on the system once reported. The work will then be scheduled in compliance with legislation.
  • We will undertake random proactive inspections of areas and will remove any litter found present that is at an unacceptable standard
  • We will work with local businesses and communities to address litter issues

We are pleased to support local communities in the setting up of their own litter collection initiatives. This would include training litter champions in carrying out risk assessments together with how to organise litter events and the provision of equipment packages (signs, cones, bags etc). For one-off events, we can loan out litter collection equipment. With all events on council owned land, we will arrange the collection of any waste collected if required.

Street sweeping

We undertake random proactive inspections and remove detritus where present (that is of an unacceptable standard) and work with communities to address the issues.

Please refer to the 'Code of practice for litter' document found at the bottom of this page for further information.

Needles and syringes found on council land

  • We will collect needles and syringes left lying on our land
  • Please do not touch anything you find, as it could be dangerous
  • Please make a note of its location and report it immediately
  • Needles and Syringes on the highway or amenity land will be cleared when reported as an emergency response
  • We operate a sharps box collection service for people who need regular collection of needles used at home for medical purposes

We do not collect discarded sharps from privately owned land. 

It is the responsibility of the land owner to have them safely disposed of. There are a number of companies who specialise in the collection and disposal of hazardous waste.

Public toilets


Wiltshire council both actively and routinely maintains the following areas to ensure they do not pose any threats:

  • We remove dead wild animals (such as badgers, foxes, and deer) along with domestic pets (such as cats and dogs) from all roads and public spaces
  • If a carcass is obviously a pet, we will try to find the owner (through the pet’s collar or microchip) and store the carcass for a period of one week prior to disposal
  • We do not collect any animal smaller than a domestic cat. If you find a dead animal of smaller size, you can either deal with it yourself by double bagging the animal and putting it in the domestic waste bin, or leave the animal to decompose naturally
  • Animals will be removed within the statutory timescale unless the carcass is hazardous
  • Please contact us to report a dead bird. However, if you find more than five dead swans, wild gulls, waders or ducks, please contact the Defra Helpline on 08459 33 55 77, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. You will be asked for details of the birds and the location
  • We do not remove farm animals (such as cows, sheep or pigs), and you should report any dead farm animals to the owner. We do not collect dead animals from private property
  • We use a specialised team to remove dead animals and, unless a road is being blocked, the dead animal may be left in place until our next scheduled visit to the area

We are pleased to support local communities in the setting up of their own sweeping and litter collection initiatives. This would include training litter champions in carrying out risk assessments together with how to organise litter events and the provision of equipment packages (signs, cones, bags etc).

For one-off events, we can loan out litter collection equipment through the Area Boards.

With all events on council owned land, we will arrange the collection of any waste collected if required.

Organising a community litter picking event

  • One person should take overall responsibility
  • Decide on a suitable day, we suggest around two hours
  • Chose a location and contact the land owner. For council land please call 0300 456 0100 and ask for the corporate events co-ordinator
  • Register the event with the council
  • Publicise the event locally by contacting your local community co-ordinator on communications@wiltshire.gov.uk
  • Obtain the correct equipment
  • Obtain insurance. Ask your parish council if they have public liability insurance, if you are unable to obtain public liability insurance, please contact the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers
  • Agree a location to arrange council collection of litter and waste before the event
  • Send some pictures and a report of those involved with a note of thanks to communications@wiltshire.gov.uk for a council publication after you event has taken place

Litter action and The Big Tidy Up offer a lot of information on organising community events and campaigns.

You might also be interested in


Banners, hanging baskets, festive and Christmas lighting can add greatly to the appearance of towns and villages, especially during Christmas and special events, and are encouraged as they can play an important role in community life. If you are intending to use street lighting columns, make connections to them, or place decorations across the road, you will need to get permission.

Guidance notes and the relevant forms are available below.


Share this page

Last updated: 12 June 2020 | Last reviewed: 12 June 2020