Exit Accessibility View

Council tenancy

If you are interesting in becoming a council tenant, please visit our choice-based letting website, Homes 4 Wiltshire, where you can find information about making an application for housing.

  • Council tenants may wish to transfer to another property for a number of reasons, perhaps because their family has grown or they have moved jobs
  • A tenant who wishes to move will be expected to have kept to the Conditions of Tenancy. For example, a tenant should not have caused antisocial behaviour and either have no rent arrears or be making genuine efforts to clear them.

Transfers of council properties are now done through the choice-based letting system, Homes 4 Wiltshire. To apply for a transfer please visit the choice-based lettings site

  • Council tenants can move by exchange with the consent of the council, by finding another tenant who wishes to exchange their home with you.
  • The Council is keen to encourage exchanges and consent will only be withheld if your rent is in arrears or if the accommodation that you wish to move to is too large or too small for your needs, or if it has been built for people with special needs, for example; disabled adaptations.

Wiltshire Council participates in the Home Swapper scheme and you can therefore apply to exchange with a tenant in any part of the country. There is a list of tenants wishing to exchange, which is kept in the housing department and is available for you to look at during normal office hours. If you require further details of this scheme do not hesitate to contact us. To read more about how to exchange properties see our fact sheet about Applying for an exchange.


If you are a council or housing association tenant you can swap homes with another tenant. This is called a "mutual exchange".

Finding a mutual exchange means you will not have to wait for months (even years) on a housing transfer list. And the best bit is that you get to choose the home you want yourself.#

You can find an application form and Wiltshire Council's Mutual Exchange policy in the sidebar of this page.

HomeSwapper is a mutual exchange service. You can use this service to help you find a new home. HomeSwapper has the UK's biggest list of members all wanting to swap homes. This means there are millions of possible swaps waiting for you.

A mutual exchange doesn't just mean you have to swap like for like you could:

  • Downsize
  • Upsize*
  • Swap across the country...or down the road
  • Swap a flat for a house...
  • A house for a maisonette
  • Get somewhere with a garden
  • Find a property without stairs or adapted for the disabled

*We work alongside the Homes4Wiltshire allocation policy which states tenants must meet the criteria for the size of property they are wishing to exchange with in line with the guidelines below.  This is to ensure full occupancy of properties and to reduce those under occupying properties, making the best use of housing stock.

• One bedroom per couple or single person
• One bedroom for any other adult aged 16 or over regardless of sex
• One bedroom for two children aged under 16 years of same sex
• One bedroom for each child aged 10-15 years of different sex
• One bedroom per two children aged less than 10 years old regardless of sex
• An extra bedroom for an applicant who requires overnight care
• Any disabled child who for medical reasons requires his / her own bedroom (please supply proof)

As the above regulations do not apply to those over pensionable age, those over pensionable age will be able to apply for either a 1 or 2 bedroom property.

Once you have found the property you wish to swap to you must always obtain the written permission from both of your landlords. Your landlords will the complete all the paperwork with you to make your move happen. If you don't have any restrictions on your tenancy agreement and are not in rent arrears your landlord cannot refuse your swap.

To register for HomeSwapper you need to go to the online home page and click on "Join" to complete the online registration form. Once you have completed the registration process, you will have full access to the HomeSwapper service.


More information on our right to buy page


More information on our ending a tenancy page


The purpose of the letting standard is to ensure that all vacant homes are clean and in a satisfactory state of repair before being let to a new tenant.  

Our guarantee

Our inspection will ensure that every home we offer for letting is fully checked and passed as:

  • Safe
  • Secure
  • Clean
  • In good condition
  • With all services in working order.

When we let properties, we ask people to fill in a Housing letting satisfaction survey so that we can ensure a high quality of service.  This can be found in our 'useful information' section.

If you would like full details of the Letting Standard, please see our Our Letting Standard – the condition of our properties when we let them on our factsheet page.


For more information see our Subletting and lodging page.


Your tenancy agreement is your contract with Wiltshire Council. It sets out the responsibilities and rights that both you and the council have.

The tenancy agreement lets you live in a property as long as you pay rent and abide by the obligations it sets out.

More details can be found in the tenant handbook in the useful information section.


Tenants are reminded that although the council is responsible for the structure of all its properties, the responsibility for the contents rests with you.

You should make sure that you have sufficient insurance cover for all your possessions, furnishings, etc. This may cost less than you think. Remember to read the information from any insurer carefully, as many will insist on certain conditions which, if ignored, may invalidate any claim. The council operates its own home contents insurance scheme which is available to all Wiltshire council tenants and is arranged through Aviva. The scheme offers ‘new-for-old’ insurance and has special low, minimum insured sums (£6,000 for people aged over 60 and £9,000 for all others). Prices start from 55p per week for people over the age of 60 and 82p per week for all others (prices inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax).If you would like more information or to apply for the home contents scheme for Wiltshire council tenants, please see the home contents insurance download or contact us to discuss. You will need a clear rent account to apply for this scheme.


Share this page

Last updated: 18 June 2020 | Last reviewed: 18 June 2020