Exit Accessibility View

Leaving prison

People released from prison or youth detention accommodation

If you are currently in prison and upon release you have no accommodation to return to then you must alert your offender manager or a member of the resettlement team as soon as possible. Your offender manager or the resettlement team can then refer you to Wiltshire Council's Housing Options team via our online e-form. 

If you are referred to the Housing Options team, a Housing Options Adviser will then conduct an assessment on your case and determine what duty, if any, Wiltshire Council has towards you.

If you have no accommodation to return to, the Housing Options Adviser will need to confirm that you are threatened with homeless therefore will be asking for a comprehensive address history for approximately 5 years and may want to speak to family and/or friends and/or landlord.

If you are discharged with no accommodation to go to then it is a reasonable expectation for you to source friends and/or family to stay with on a temporary basis whilst you work with the Housing Options team to source alternative accommodation. Please note, if you aren't able to find temporary accommodation for yourself then the Housing Options team will assess whether or not they have a duty to provide you with temporary accommodation, there is no guarantee of an offer of temporary accommodation until your case has been assessed.

Please note, the housing options team will be working closely with the resettlement team and offender manager to gain an insight into your situation as we will need to be aware of any orders or licence restrictions as this will impact on your housing options.

Share this page

Last updated: 30 April 2018 | Last reviewed: 30 April 2018