Exit Accessibility View

Mental health problems

If you are currently in a mental health hospital and upon discharge you have no accommodation to return to, or your accommodation may no longer be suitable for you then you must alert a member of staff at the hospital as soon as possible. The hospital discharge team can then refer you to either Wiltshire Council's Housing Options team (online e-form) or Adult Social Care team. 

A Housing Options Adviser will then conduct an assessment on your case and determine what duty, if any, Wiltshire Council has towards you. If you have no accommodation to return to, the Housing Options Adviser will need to confirm that you are homeless therefore will be asking for a comprehensive address history for approximately 5 years and may want to speak to:

  • Family
  • Friends
  • landlord

If you have accommodation it may not be suitable for you to return to then the Housing Options team will work closely with Adult Social Care to try and identify whether it is reasonable for you to return to the property or not. If you are discharged with no accommodation to go to then it is a reasonable expectation for you to source friends and/or family to stay with on a temporary basis whilst you work with the Housing Options team to source alternative accommodation.
If you aren't able to find temporary accommodation for yourself then the Housing Options team will assess whether or not they have a duty to provide you with temporary accommodation,there is no guarantee of and offer of temporary accommodation until your case has been assessed.


Evidence suggests there are five steps we can all take to improve our mental well being, these are detailed on the NHS Choices website. If you approach them with an open mind and try them, you can judge the results yourself.


Mental health includes problems such as depression, anxiety or panic and less common psychotic symptoms, which interfere with a person's perception of reality, and may include hallucinations such as seeing and hearing things that no-one else can.

If you, a friend or relative are experiencing mental health problems for the first time and need treatment, you can contact your GP (doctor) who will be able to refer you to the most appropriate mental health service. If you are not registered with a doctor, visit the GP search on the NHS Choices website to find your local GP surgery.

You can also contact Adult Care who can provide you with an assessment of need and advice in relation to your social care needs.

Primary care liaison nurses operate alongside GP's; they are specialist and experienced mental health practitioners who have the knowledge and skills to decide if someone will benefit from short-term involvement with their team.

The nurses deliver direct patient assessment as well as managing referrals. They operate alongside GPs and other primary care staff to plan treatment and care. They help people to find the best service to meet their needs by offering:

  • Advice on books, leaflets and websites that will help people to help themselves
  • Referral to other groups, as appropriate, or access to other mental health teams
  • advice and support to primary care professionals

To access this service you will be referred by your GP or other health professional. You can also contact Adult Care who may be able to provide you with an assessment and advice in relation to your social care needs. 

Visit the Wiltshire Council Mental Health Socialcare Services page for more information

Share this page

Last updated: 30 April 2018 | Last reviewed: 30 April 2018