If you have large items of furniture, white goods such as fridges, freezers and washing machines, or other electrical appliances to dispose of there are local charities that may be able to re-use your items.
Items of furniture will need to be in reasonable condition, with a fire retardant label still attached where appropriate. White goods can sometimes be accepted for reuse even if they are not in working order, as they may be repairable.
Which charities can collect?
If your items are unsuitable for re-use, you can take them to your nearest Household recycling centre for disposal.
If a charity is unable to collect your items and you are unable to take your items to the Household Recycling Centre, the council offers a chargeable collection service for large items
Chargeable collection of large items
If your large goods are unsuitable for reuse, the council can collect these from outside of your property for a charge. We are unable to enter your property to collect large items.
Please note this is not a complete list. If you cannot see an item, please phone us on 0300 456 0102 as some other items can be collected by special arrangement.
What can the council collect?
- Chairs and Tables
- Washing Machines
- Carpets and underlay
- Computer items
- Electrical items
- Garden furniture
- Portable heaters/coolers
- Single items under 50kg
- Bathtubs, sinks, toilets cisterns
- Builders' or DIY waste such as plasterboard
- Car parts and tyres
- Central heating boilers or tanks
- Ceramic tiles
- Clinical waste - see hazardous and clinical waste
- Coal bunkers
- Fire extinguishers or gas bottles
- Fluid containers such as oil drums and petrol cans
- Garden waste, soil or rubble
- Hazardous waste such as asbestos, fluorescent tubes, liquid waste
- Sheds and fence panels or fencing
- Rayburn or AGA cookers
- Mobility scooters
- Single items over 50kg
- The cost is £12.33 per item, although there is a reduced charge of £6.16 per item if you receive means tested benefit, including housing benefit, council tax reduction and/or income support
- You will need to pay at the time of booking
- You will be given a collection date at the time of booking and items will be collected at any time after 7am during that day
- Place your items outside so that they are clearly visible from the road by 7am on the collection day
- Please note collection crews are not allowed to enter your property to collect items under any circumstances
- Call us on 0300 456 0102 to arrange a collection from outside your property
- Please note that only items listed at the time of booking will be collected
- If you need to change the items being collected for any reason, call the booking line at least two days before the collection date and we will do our best to arrange this