Libraries celebrate National Bookstart Day
Friday 25 September 2009
Area: All areas
Wiltshire Council's library staff will be getting into the party spirit to celebrate National Bookstart Day.
This year's theme is "the rhyme of my life" and libraries across the county will be holding free events on and around October 9 for children and their parents or carers.
Bookstart is run by Booktrust, an independent national charity that encourages people of all ages and cultures to engage with books.
Library events taking place on National Bookstart Day include:
- Bumsadaisy - yoga through nursery rhymes at 10am - 11am at Westbury Library and at 1.30pm-2.30pm at Trowbridge Library.
- Sing and sign session at Wootton Bassett Library at 10am - 11am.
- Bookstart bear's picnic - a special noisy Friday afternoon rhyme time at 2pm - 2.30pm at Chippenham Library.
- Taster sessions throughout the morning for babies and toddlers at Salisbury Library.
- Noisy Friday at Calne Library at 10am - 12noon.
Wiltshire Council's children’s librarian, Sarah Hillier, said: National Bookstart Day is a wonderful opportunity for us to celebrate Bookstart in Wiltshire and the joy of rhymes and singing together.
"Such activities have proven to be a great start for the development of a lifelong love of reading in children”.
Wiltshire Council's Bookstart coordinator, Kathryn Arthur, said: "Nursery rhymes have a timeless appeal and children really enjoy their rhyme, rhythm and repetition which all provide a good foundation for reading later on”.
There will also be the regular rhyme times and children's activities taking place in Wiltshire Council's libraries, details of which can be found on the council's website www.wiltshire.gov.uk/libraries
More information about National Bookstart Day celebrations and downloadable resources including rhyme time sheets, colouring sheets and recommended collections of nursery rhymes, can be found at: www.bookstart.org.uk
Last updated: Friday 25 September 2009