GP referral - Active health
Active Health is our scheme for physical activity opportunities for those referred by a medical professional. There can be many different reasons for referral and a number of different exercise programmes are available across the county in leisure centres and other local facilities, at a reduced rate.
You can download the physical activity referral leaflet in useful information section.
- Is an exercise and education programme for people recovering from heart attacks, heart surgery and cardiac interventions
- classes are led by highly qualified and knowledgeable cardiac rehabilitation instructors
- It can increase fitness levels, reduce cardiac symptoms, improve health and reduce the risk of future heart problems
This programme can support and motivate people to make positive lifestyle changes and achieve a long term physical activity habit
|The Activity Zone
9.30am – 10.30am
|Castle Place Leisure Centre, Trowbridge||
|Five Rivers Health and Well Being Centre, Salisbury||
|The Olympiad, Chippenham||
|Devizes Leisure Centre||
|Marlborough Leisure Centre||
Leighton Recreation Centre, Westbury
|Springfield Campus, Corsham||
|Warminster Sports Centre||
|Calne Leisure Centre||
Christie Miller Sports Centre, Melksham
|Durrington Leisure Centre||
|Lime Kiln Leisure Centre, Royal Wootton Bassett||
- Yes there is a specific Phase IV Cardiac Rehab referral form that your GP or Phase III Cardiac Team has to complete prior to you attending the class (the BACPR Cardiac Rehab referral form)
- Once you have been given the completed referral form call the class instructor in your local area
- Group based stroke rehabilitation classes take an active approach to improving your movement and independence
- The classes are taken by instructors who have specialist knowledge, to give stroke survivors the opportunity to exercise in a safe and enjoyable environment
- The activities can be adapted to suit your specific needs
- The first session will be an introductory session where your instructor will assess your suitability to attend the 12 week exercise after stroke programme
- This will involve some form filling
|Trowbridge||Castle Place Leisure Centre||Monday||
Richard Latham 07941 591741
|Chippenham||The Olympiad Leisure Centre||Monday||
Deborah Newth 07532 264460
|Salisbury||Five Rivers Health and Well Being Centre||Monday||
1.30pm - 2.30pm
Paul Needham 07823 536256
|Melksham||Christie Miller Sports Centre||Tuesday||
Richard Latham 07941 591741
|Westbury||Leighton Recreation Centre||Wednesday||
Richard Latham 07941 591741
|Marlborough||Marlborough Leisure Centre||Wednesday||10am-11am||
Sally Philips 07799 074312
- You will need to be referred by your GP, physiotherapist or health professional to attend these classes
- If you are eligible you will be given a referral form
- Designed to help those who have had a fall or who are afraid of falling
- It is a mixture of chair-based and standing exercises to improve strength, balance and increase confidence
- This class will safely and effectively improve your physical function and postural stability to reduce the risk of a fall
For further information on any of the below classes please contact email email@example.com or call 07799074312.
For class times and locations please go to the useful information area on the right of this page and click on the falls prevention leaflet tab.Close
- There is a specific Strength and Balance referral form that you can complete yourself, however, you can be referred by either your GP or Healthcare Professional
Active Health physical activity sessions
A low level circuit training class designed to get people active again in a fun social group setting. Exercises can be adapted for the individual, and we have people attending this class for a wide range of health conditions including:
- Back pain (including patients referred from the Activate your Back physiotherapy programme)
- Musculoskeletal conditions including
- Hip and knee replacements
- Respiratory disease (including patients referred from the PACE pulmonary rehabilitation programme)
- Mild depression
- Anxiety or stress
- Recovery from cancer
- Polymyalgia rheumatica
- Peripheral vascular disease
- TIA/ mini stroke and much more
|Chippenham||The Olympiad leisure Centre||Wednesday||1:30pm - 2:15pm|
|Devizes||Devizes Leisure Centre||Wednesday||1pm - 1:45pm|
|Devizes||Devizes Leisure Centre||Thursday||1:15pm - 2pm|
|Marlborough||Marlborough Leisure Centre||Tuesday||12 noon - 12:45pm|
|Marlborough||Marlborough Leisure Centre||Friday||12:15pm - 1pm|
|Salisbury||Five Rivers Health and Wellbeing Centre||Monday||4:15pm - 5pm|
|Salisbury||Five Rivers Health and Wellbeing Centre||Thursday||1pm - 1:45pm|
|Tidworth||Tidworth Leisure Centre||Monday||12:15pm - 1pm|
|Tisbury||Nadder Centre||Tuesday||12 noon - 12:45pm|
|Trowbridge||Castle Place leisure Cente||Thursday||1:15pm - 2pm|
|Warminster||Warminster Sports Centre||Tuesday||1:15pm - 2pm|
|Westbury||Leighton Recreation Centre||Friday||11am - 11:45am|
A gentle exercise class in the swimming pool, encouraging a low impact form of exercise, using the water as resistance. Like the circuits class, it can be accessible to referred participants with a variety of health conditions.
|Devizes||Devizes Leisure Centre||Wednesday||2pm - 2:45pm|
|Marlborough||Marlborough Leisure Centre||Tuesday||9:10am - 9:55am|
|Melksham||The Blue Pool||Thursday||1:45pm - 2:30pm|
|Salisbury||Five Rivers Health and Wellbeing Centre||Tuesday||10:30am - 11:15am|
An allocated slot in the gym, not exclusive to Active Health participants, that allows Active Health participants to be monitored during their gym visit and get help or assistance from a qualified Active Health instructor. Please note that this is not one-to-one support.
|Amesbury||Amesbury Sports Centre||Wednesday||4pm - 5pm|
|Calne||Calne Leisure Centre||Thirsday||10am - 11am|
|Chippenham||The Olympiad Leisure Centre||Wednesday||11am - 12noon|
|Corsham||Springfield Community Campus||Friday||2.30pm - 3.30pm|
|Devizes||Devizes Leisure Centre||Tuesday||12 noon - 1pm|
|Devizes||Devizes Leisure Centre||Friday||12 noon - 1pm|
|Malmesbury||The Activity Zone||Thursday||11am - 12 noon|
|Marlborough||Marlborough Leisure Centre||Wednesday||12 noon - 1pm|
|Melksham||The Blue Pool||Wednesday||11:30am - 12:30pm|
|Salisbury||Five Rivers Health and Wellbeing Centre||Tuesday||10am - 11am|
|Trowbridge||Castle Place Leisure Centre||Friday||11:30am - 12:30pm|
|Tidworth||Tidworth Leisure Centre||Thursday||3pm - 4pm|
|Warminster||Warminster Sports Centre||Tuesday||11:30am - 12-30pm|
|Westbury||Leighton Recreation Centre||Thursday||11:30amn - 12:30pm|
|Royal Wootton Bassett||Lime Kiln Leisure Centre||Monday||1:30pm - 2:30pm|
|Royal Wootton Bassett||Lime Kiln Leisure Centre||Friday||1:30pm - 2:30pm|
A circuit based exercise class that focuses on functional exercises to replicate activities of daily living specific to Parkinsons Disease and Multiple Sclerosis patients. The exercises mobilise joints, work on posture and gait, whilst raising the heart rate and building on a positive sense of well being.
|Chippenham||Springfield Community Campus||Thursday||1pm - 2pm|
|Salisbury||Five Rivers Health and Wellbeing Centre||Tuesday||2pm - 3pm|
For further information contact the area Hub Co-ordinator
West Wiltshire: Rich Latham 07941 591741 or firstname.lastname@example.org
North Wiltshire: Debs Newth 07532 264460 or email@example.com
East Wiltshire: Sally Phillips 07799 074312 or firstname.lastname@example.org
South Wiltshire: Paul Needham 07823 536256 or email@example.com
What else do I need to know?
Yes, they can accompany you to the venue but will not be able to take part in the session.Close
Sometimes, if you haven’t been very active for a while you may experience a little stiffness but this is normal.Close
You may get a little warm but we encourage you to take a small towel and some water with you to drink while taking part in your activity.
We are able to adapt and tailor the exercises that you will be given.
Programmes are individually tailored to your needs.Close
Ideally yes but we realise that sometimes holidays, hospital appointments may occur at these times and that this may affect your attendance.
No as long as you wear comfortable clothes and appropriate footwear.
In most instances, you will be able to continue with the activity that you have been doing during the programme. Once the programme has finished the cost may increase but this will be explained at your re-assessment.
Generally, we do not accept re-referrals to the scheme unless you have had a change or deterioration in your medical condition and upon the advice and completion of a new referral form by a health professional.
All Active Health referral staff who work on the programme are qualified in instructing and working with clients with a variety of medical conditions.
These staff attend regular workshops and courses to update their knowledge and skills.
All classes are £2.50 per session including refreshments.
For more information contact the physical activity team on: 01380 826318
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org