GP referral - Active health
Active Health is our scheme for physical activity opportunities for those referred by a medical professional. There can be many different reasons for referral and a number of different exercise programmes are available across the county in leisure centres and other local facilities, at a reduced rate.
You can download the physical activity referral leaflet in useful information section.
- Is an exercise and education programme for people recovering from heart attacks, heart surgery and cardiac interventions
- classes are led by highly qualified and knowledgeable cardiac rehabilitation instructors
- It can increase fitness levels, reduce cardiac symptoms, improve health and reduce the risk of future heart problems
This programme can support and motivate people to make positive lifestyle changes and achieve a long term physical activity habit
|The Activity Zone, Malmesbury||Monday||12:15pm - 1:15pm||01666 822533|
|Castle Place Leisure Centre, Trowbridge||Monday||4:45pm - 5:45pm||01225 762711|
|Leighton Recreation Centre, Westbury||Tuesday||10am - 11am|
2:30pm - 3:30pm
6pm - 7pm
|The Activity Zone, Malmesbury||Tuesday||9.15am - 10.15am||01666 822533|
Olympiad leisure Centre, Chippenham
|Tuesday||1:30pm - 2:30pm||01249 444144|
|Devizes Leisure Centre||Tuesday||1:45pm - 2:45pm||01380 734880|
|Springfield Leisure Centre||Wednesday|
2pm - 3pm
Olympiad Leisure Centre, Chippenham
|Wednesday||5pm - 6pm||01249 444144|
|Five Rivers Leisure Centre, Salisbury||Wednesday||4pm - 5pm||07823 536256|
|Warminster Sports Centre||Wednesday||4pm - 5pm||01985 212946|
|The Activity Zone, Malmesbury||Thursday||9:30am - 10:30am||01666 822533|
|Leighton Recreation Centre, Westbury||Thursday||11am - 12pm||01373 824448|
|Christie Miller Sports Centre, Melksham||Thursday||5pm - 6pm||01225 702826|
|Lime Kiln Leisure Centre, Royal Wootton Bassett||Thursday||5pm - 6pm||01793 852197|
|The Staff Club, Salisbury District Hospital||Friday||10am - 11am||01722 425085|
|Olympiad leisure Centre, Chippenham||Friday||1:30pm - 2:30pm||07969 909162|
- Yes there is a specific Phase IV Cardiac Rehab referral form that your GP or Phase III Cardiac Team has to complete prior to you attending the class (the BACPR Cardiac Rehab referral form)
- Once you have been given the completed referral form call the class instructor in your local area
- Group based stroke rehabilitation classes take an active approach to improving your movement and independence
- The classes are taken by instructors who have specialist knowledge, to give stroke survivors the opportunity to exercise in a safe and enjoyable environment
- The activities can be adapted to suit your specific needs
- The first session will be an introductory session where your instructor will assess your suitability to attend the 12 week exercise after stroke programme
- This will involve some form filling
|Castle Place Leisure Centre, Trowbridge||Monday||1:30pm - 2:30pm||Richard Latham|
|Five Rivers Leisure Centre, Salisbury||Monday|
1:30pm - 2:30pm
|Olympiad Leisure Centre, Chippenham||Monday||2:30pm - 3:30pm||Deborah Newth|
|Marlborough Leisure Centre||Wednesday||10am - 11am||Sally Phillips|
|Leighton Recreation Centre, Westbury||Wednesday||1:30pm - 2:30pm||Richard Latham|
- You will need to be referred by your GP, physiotherapist or health professional to attend these classes
- If you are eligible you will be given a referral form
- Designed to help those who have had a fall or who are afraid of falling
- It is a mixture of chair-based and standing exercises to improve strength, balance and increase confidence
- This class will safely and effectively improve your physical function and postural stability to reduce the risk of a fall
For further information on any of the below classes please contact email email@example.com or call 07799074312.
|The Activity Zone, Malmesbury||Tuesday||10.45am - 11:45am|
|Christie Miller Sports Centre, Melksham||Monday||12 noon - 12:45pm|
|Five Rivers Health and Wellbeing Centre, Salisbury||Monday||12 noon - 12:45pm|
|Methodist Church, Westbury||Monday||2:10pm - 2:55pm|
|Warminster Park Community Hall||Monday||11:15am - 12 noon|
12:15pm - 1pm
|Baptist Church, Brown Street, Salisbury||Tuesday||11am - 11:45am|
12:15pm - 1pm
|St Margaret's Hall, Bradford on Avon||Tuesday||1:30pm - 2:15pm|
2:45pm - 3:30pm
|Castle Place Leisure Centre, Trowbridge||Tuesday||1:45pm - 2:30pm|
|Durrington Sports Centre||Tuesday||1:30pm - 2:15pm|
|The Wharf, Calne||Wednesday||11:15am - 12 noon|
|Pewsey Leisure Centre||Wednesday||1:30pm - 2:15pm|
|Lime Kiln Centre, Royal Wootton Bassett||Monday||11am - 12pm|
|Malborough Leisure Centre||Wednesday||1:15pm - 2:15pm|
2:15pm - 3pm
|Heberden House, Cricklade||Wednesday||2:30pm - 3:15pm|
|Croft Court, Chippenham||Thursday||3pm - 4pm|
|Springfield Community Campus, Corsham||Thursday||11:45am - 12:30pm|
|Devizes Leisure Centre||Thursday||2:15pm - 3pm|
- There is a specific Strength and Balance referral form that you can complete yourself, however, you can be referred by either your GP or Healthcare Professional
What else do I need to know?
Yes, they can accompany you to the venue but will not be able to take part in the session.Close
Sometimes, if you haven’t been very active for a while you may experience a little stiffness but this is normal.Close
You may get a little warm but we encourage you to take a small towel and some water with you to drink while taking part in your activity.
We are able to adapt and tailor the exercises that you will be given.
Programmes are individually tailored to your needs.Close
Ideally yes but we realise that sometimes holidays, hospital appointments may occur at these times and that this may affect your attendance.
No as long as you wear comfortable clothes and appropriate footwear.
In most instances, you will be able to continue with the activity that you have been doing during the programme. Once the programme has finished the cost may increase but this will be explained at your re-assessment.
Generally, we do not accept re-referrals to the scheme unless you have had a change or deterioration in your medical condition and upon the advice and completion of a new referral form by a health professional.
All Active Health referral staff who work on the programme are qualified in instructing and working with clients with a variety of medical conditions.
These staff attend regular workshops and courses to update their knowledge and skills.
All classes are £2.50 per session including refreshments.
For more information contact the physical activity team on: 01380 826318
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org