Swim challenge is exactly what it sounds like. We provide motivational challenges at all our swimming pools and encourage people to have a go at them - member or non-member.
2018: The big one - swim the length of the River Thames!
- 346 kilometres long - the equivalent of 215 miles, or 13,840 lengths of the pool
- Enter at reception and log your lengths each time you swim on the Thames Challenge sheet
- Every month we will update the sheet and total up your distances to date
- We'll then share highlights and total distances for each leisure centre
- No fee to enter - just challenge yourself to do something epic!
April update - alternative distances
For those of you for whom the dream of swimming the Thames is now slightly out of reach, here are some alternative options for you to re-focus on and keep swimming!
• Grand Union Canal, 137 miles from London to Birmingham - 8,820 lengths
• Kennet and Avon Canal: 87 miles - 5,600 lengths
• River Tamar in the South West: 50 miles - 3,200 lengthsGood luck!
The journey so far...
The table below shows the number of lengths swam in each centre as part of this challenge! Updated 11 July 2018
|Calne Leisure Centre||25,582|
|Devizes Leisure Centre||9,628|
|Durrington Swimming Pool||103,594|
|Five Rivers Health and Wellbeing Centre||49,254|
|Marlborough Leisure Centre||75,065|
|Springfield Community Campus||31,437|
|Tidworth Leisure Centre||1,515|
That means over 4,626 miles completed in this challenge already by everyone involved, three individuals who have completed the challenge and a number of swimmers well on course to complete the big one #SwimTheThames!
Well done to everyone involved and a particular congratulations to our three completer's to date!