Many of our large libraries host reading groups. Where possible the groups are member-led. Occasionally these groups might meet in a nearby venue in the town or village.
Although the library service does not run these groups, where possible we support them with space so they can be free and accessible. In a very small number of cases, a small charge may apply if the group is not hosted in the library. This charge is not paid to Wiltshire Council.
If you wish to know whether there is a group near you, please contact your local library. The person running the group might ask for some contact details so they can let you know about future meetings, cancellations, and events. Please be aware this data is not being held by Wiltshire Council.
Each week you can find out what the reading groups have been doing during the Sue Davies show on BBC Wiltshire, Sundays at 10.30am.Close
We love reading groups, and offer a membership card especially for them. With this card, groups can take advantage of:
- Up to 15 items on loan at a time
- A six week loan period
- Just one reservation fee per title required, even if you need multiple copies
- Other information about reading promotions
We ask that the reading group nominates a contact who will be responsible for managing the card, and letting us know who can borrow books on it.
We would love to be able to contact you occasionally in the future with information about book promotions, author events, and other things we think you might be interested in. For that reason we are also starting to collect email information for reading groups.Close
We work regionally with Literature Works (the south west literature development agency) and nationally with The Reading Agency to bring offers and opportunities to reading groups. The best way for you to find out about these opportunities is to join the following sites.
You may be in the running for:
- Pre-publication sets
- Free sets of books
- Author giveaways
- Chances for your group to video conference/Skype with popular authors
You may also be interested to follow some national reading groups or book clubs, such as:Close
- Booksters reading group for children in years five and six of primary school meets monthly on a Tuesday from 4pm to 4.30pm
- Thrillseekers reading group for young people at secondary school meets monthly on a Friday from 5pm to 6pm
If you wish to join either of these groups, please contact Chippenham Library on 01249 650536 for more information.
- Booksters reading group for children in years five and six of primary school meets monthly on a Friday from 4pm to 4.30pm
If you wish to join this group, please contact Malmesbury Library on 01666 823611 for more information.
- Booksters reading group for children in years five and six of primary school meets monthly on a Monday from 4pm to 4.30pm
- Litsters reading group for young people at secondary school meets monthly on a Monday from 4.30pm to 5pm
If you wish to join either of these groups, please contact Trowbridge Library on 01225 716700 for more information.Close
The group meets on the 2nd Friday of each month at 2.30pm in Trowbridge Library, County Hall, BA14 8JN
The book is chosen by group members and it’s ok if you didn’t like it or found it impossible to finish, we like a lively discussion!
The group is run in partnership with the RNIB who support people with sight loss across the country. They provide the title on CD or USB directly to your home free of charge.
For more information or to book a place please contact the library on 01225 716700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.Close
The Shared Reading group at Calne Community Hub and Library is a place to relax, make new friends and share stories with others every week. You can just drop in, sit down and enjoy listening to a great story or poem — there’s no pressure to talk or read. The group meets weekly on Tuesdays from 2pm to 3.30pm. Just come along or contact the library on 01249 813128. This is part of the South West Region of Readers project.