Exit Accessibility View

Personal licences

Your personal information will be held and used in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998. We may lawfully disclose information within this authority and to other public sector agencies such as the Police, or the Inland Revenue to (a) Prevent or detect fraud or other crime (b) Protect public funds (c) Make sure the information is accurate.

There are many forms involved with the application for a Personal Licence under the Licensing Act 2003.

Right to work/immigration status

From 6th April 2017, any applicants applying for a personal licence must submit further documentation to demonstrate entitlement to live and work in the UK.

Disclosure and Barring checks

From the 31st January 2018 Basic Disclosures will no longer be processed by Disclosure Scotland for individuals living in England and Wales. 

Individuals living in England and Wales will be able to apply to DBS for a basic check via the new online application route that is available on Gov.uk.  Alternatively, an individual can use a 'Responsible Organisation' (RO - a third party registered with DBS - to submit checks on thier behalf.  List of Responsible Organistions.

Responsibilities as a Personal Licence Holder

If a personal licence holder no longer wishes to hold the personal licence they must surrender it back to the original issuing authority with formal notification to this effect.


If any part of the personal licence documentation becomes lost, stolen, damaged and/or is destroyed, a personal licence holder is entitled to apply to the issuing authority for a copy of the licence. A fee of £10.50 is payable for document replacement.


Following a change of name and/or address, a personal licence holder must notify the issuing authority of the change(s) as soon as is reasonably practicable. Failure to do so is an offence. A fee of £10.50 is payable for document replacement.


Where charged with a relevant offence, a personal licence holder must produce the licence to the court at or before the first appearance (or if that is not possible, explain why it cannot be produced). Similarly, if a personal licence is granted after being charged, a personal licence holder must produce the licence to the court (or explain why it cannot be produced). A personal licence holder must also notify the court if, after having first produced the licence, the licence is renewed, surrendered or revoked. Failure to comply with any of these requirements is an offence.


If convicted of a relevant or a foreign offence, and the courts are not aware of the existence of the licence, a personal licence holder must notify the issuing authority as soon as possible about the conviction(s) and the outcome of any appeal against the conviction(s). Failure to comply with this requirement is an offence.


Where certain changes have been made to the terms or effect of a personal licence you must return both parts of the personal licence to the issuing authority. Failure to comply with this obligation, without reasonable excuse, is an offence.


A police constable or officer of a licensing authority may require a personal licence holder to produce their personal licence when on any premises to sell, or authorise the sale of alcohol by virtue of a premises licence or temporary event notice. Accordingly, personal licence holders are advised to carry their licence (both parts) at all times when on duty. Failure to produce a personal licence to an authorised person whilst on premises to make or authorise sale or supply of alcohol, without reasonable excuse, is an offence.


You no longer need to contact us if your licence is about to expire. The expiry date shown on your licence card and document no longer applies as a result of an amendment to the Licensing Act 2003, which came into effect on 1 April 2015. If you require an update to your licence, please complete the application for a copy of Personal Licence, and submit to the Licensing Authority with the fee of £10.50 and new passport size photos. You are still required to contact us if you wish to surrender your licence and to notify the Licensing Authority of any changes


2017 - 2018

Personal licence


Replacement of lost or stolen licence



Share this page

Last updated: 31 January 2019 | Last reviewed: 31 January 2019