Exit Accessibility View

EHCP or MyPlan

Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP)

EHCP/MyPlan explained

SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. It describes a wide spectrum of needs and challenges including how individuals:

  • Communicate
  • Learn and process information
  • Behave and cope with social and emotional challenges
  • Sensory difficulties
  • Physical and medical conditions that affect life and learning

Because those affected by SEND need different levels of support from infrequent, flexible support to full-time care, it is important that they are at the centre of everything we do as we identify, assess and plan for support.


Special educational provision is help given to children with SEN as part of their EHCP/MyPlan. It can take many different forms, including group or individual work, or a personalised learning programme adapted to meet a child’s specific needs.  Read more about this provision in Education - Early Years


A MyPlan is what we call an EHCP in Wiltshire. They are a holistic way of support planning for children and young people with SEND, looking at the whole person, their strengths and interests as well as their needs and challenges. Solutions will focus on what is important to the person concerned, as well as capturing the views of their parents and carers.

A MyPlan is the means by which specialist educational support is assessed, planned for and captured. Schools can offer additional support either individually or in small groups. The school SENCO will be able to describe what additional support is being given and how effective it is. Where further assessment is undertaken, with the involvement of specialist knowledge, additional or different provision will be described in a MyPlan, setting out what support is required in order that desired outcomes may be met.


A SEND Lead worker is allocated to a child or young person with a MyPlan. They will:

  • Act as a single point of contact for the child/ family
  • Keep practitioners focused on the child/ family
  • Empower the child/young person/ family to make decisions and be heard
  • Coordinate actions agreed by practitioners and the family and avoid potential duplication.

Their level of involvement will vary according to the child or young person’s needs but is likely to be particularly involved at key transition times. They will help to make sure things are being done in a timely way. Sometimes another professional will take the lead but the SEND Lead Worker can always be contacted to check what is happening. Their role may include:

  • Checking what other services/people are currently involved
  • Referring the child or young person and their family to other services as appropriate
  • Considering existing specialist assessments and ensuring further assessments are requested as needed
  • Attending reviews, Team around the Child (TAC) meeting, professionals meetings as appropriate
  • Arranging TACs as necessary
  • Supporting the child/young person/family to access information on the local offer
  • Discussing future options
  • Ensuring that a My Statutory Plan is written that supports your child to achieve specific outcomes.

A My Support Plan is developed for children and young people who do not meet the criteria for an EHCP/MyPlan. It is not statutory but, just like a MyPlan, it will be person-centred and outcome-focused, concentrating on individual needs and priorities. Not all schools will complete a My Support Plan and some will have their own approach to this level of support. A Lead Worker will not be directly involved, but the team may be able to give advice if you call them: 01225 757985 option 5.


The majority of children and young people with SEND will have their needs met within local mainstream early years settings, schools or colleges. Where progress is not adequate, however, it may be appropriate to request an EHC needs assessment. A request to assess a child or young person for an EHCP can be made by the child or young person themselves, a parent/carer, a school or a professional.  Advice may be sought from the SEND team but a lead worker will only be allocated if and when a decision is made to assess. Advice and help can also be sought from the school, college or early years setting's SENCO, from the WPC or Kids WISA. Read more on how to Request to assess for EHCP.


For information about Early Help CAF, a supportive process for all children and young people aged from unborn to 18.


Many queries have been raised as to which process should be followed for a child or young person – an Early Help CAF or a My Support Plan?  This depends on the individual child/young person and the situation but essentially the important thing to remember is to be person-centred and to meet the best needs of the child/young person.  To help with deciding which is the best process to follow, Wiltshire Council have created a thresholds guidance document and a quick assessment tool which can be accessed through the Wiltshire Pathways website.


All Early Help CAFs** and My Support Plans need to be registered (as highlighted on page 11 of the thresholds  guidance) and consent given by the parent/carer or young person.  Ensure that you have a signed consent form by the appropriate person.

An Early Help CAF or My Support Plan should be registered by sending a copy to:

DCE Coordination, Wiltshire Council, Bythesea Road, Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14 8JN

**For more information about Early Help CAF


A MyPlan must be reviewed at least once a year (every six months for children under 5 years). An interim or emergency review may be held if there is concern about a child's progress. A phase transfer review take place when moving between key stages of education (e.g. infant to junior, primary to secondary). 

A review meeting is normally arranged by the school or setting, making sure that everyone supporting the child or young person is involved, including parents and carers.  Updates are provided before the meeting takes place. At the review meeting, progress will be discussed and targets will be set for the coming year. The views of the young person should be central to the review process and, where possible, they should attend all of part of the meeting.  Parents and carers may wish to talk to the school or setting about their young person's involvement in the review process.

The review will be led by a lead professional - someone best placed to understand the needs of the child or young person. The lead professional may be a social worker, SEND lead worker, school or health professional.

Within 10 working days of the meeting, an annual review report will be sent to the parents or carers and the local authority, based upon which a decision needs to be taken about what happens next: no change, amendment to the MyPlan, or cease the MyPlan.  Whatever the decision, parents or carers will be fully informed as promptly as possible.  If they are unhappy with the decision, they will be able to meet with the local authority to discuss their concerns. They will also have a right to mediation and appeal.


Mediation and disagreement resolution arrangements exist to help resolve issues for children or young people with SEN, including those who are being assessed for or who have a My Plan (EHC plan), where the normal school or college complaints routes have not reached a satisfactory outcome.  Meetings aim to resolve any disagreements in a quick, informal way using a third party mediator to help reach a satisfactory resolution. Read more on our Mediation and Appeals page.


If your child is attending school, talk to their teacher, the SENCO (SEN Co-ordinator), or the head-teacher.**

For information about Wiltshire's SEND Service, call 01225 757985 option 5. Calls will be answered by one of our SEND Lead Workers. Lines are open every weekday from 9am-4.30pm excluding bank holidays. Outside these times you can leave a message and a SEND Leader will get back to you within 48 hours (excluding weekends).

If a child is at imminent risk of harm or injury, please call the police on 999. If the child is at risk of significant harm, contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 0300 456 0108 (out of hours Emergency Duty Service: 0300 456 0100).


If your child is of pre-school age talk to your health visitor or doctor.

If your child is already attending or about to start a pre-school, such as a nursery or play group, discuss your concerns with the SENCO (SEN Co-ordinator).  If your child is under 5 and has been identified as needing specialist provision, the health service will inform us as well as giving you information about support services.


Share this page

Last updated: 22 January 2020 | Last reviewed: 22 January 2020