Exit Accessibility View


21 May 2019

Former Amesbury resident pays the price for fly-tipping

A former Amesbury resident has been ordered to pay £1,970 in fines, costs and victim surcharge after giving his domestic waste to an unlicensed waste collector, who then fly-tipped it in the Wiltshire countryside.

On Monday 20 May 2019, Mr Adrian Collingwood, formally of Amesbury, admitted failing to ensure his waste was lawfully transferred to a legitimate waste carrier at Salisbury Magistrates Court.

Mr Collingwood, who now lives in Swindon, claimed he had given his waste to a ‘man with a van' who knocked at this door asking for scrap metal. The court heard that that he failed to check the driver had a licence to carry waste and had failed to record vehicle details or where the waste would ultimately be disposed. This information would have helped officers trace the fly-tipper.

Wiltshire Council environmental enforcement officers tracked the rubbish back to Mr Collingwood after it was discovered dumped in a layby and field in Winterbourne Monkton near Swindon.

Bridget Wayman, cabinet member for highways, transport and waste, said: "Residents and businesses have a legal duty of care in ensuring their waste is disposed of properly and legally. Residents and businesses should be wary about people door knocking asking to remove waste.

"We would also urge caution about using a ‘man with a van' or similar adverts on social media to dispose of waste without making all the necessary checks and writing down the waste carrier's licence number."

  • Check that the person they pass their waste to is an authorised carrier by visiting the Environment Agency, or by calling the Environment Agency on 03708 506506.
  • Check that the person who is taking the waste has an upper tier waste carriers licence.
  • Note the make, model, colour and registration number of any vehicle taking the waste away and also note a description of the persons removing the waste.
  • Ask for a receipt detailing where the waste is going and the waste carrier's licence number. This is a legal obligation for businesses, but householders are also advised to request this information.
  • If it involves scrap metal collection, check that the person who is taking the waste has an upper tier waste carriers licence and a scrap metal collectors licence issued by Wiltshire Council.

You can report fly-tipping here or call 0300 456 0100.

Last updated: 22 May 2019 | Last reviewed: 22 May 2019

Share this article

Latest Tweets


Access to the #Salisbury household recycling centre via Stephenson Road will be affected by roadworks form 18 Octob… https://t.co/kD1NiNySiC

17 Oct 2019 16:02


@nadderdiary Good Afternoon Malcolm, Thank you for your message. Please could you DM us with your full address and… https://t.co/ckhvTAGy3T

17 Oct 2019 14:13


We have more than 30 sites that generate solar energy. Here's how they got on last week. https://t.co/1myh158zkV

17 Oct 2019 12:43


Massive congratulations to one of our former elite athlete grant recipients @bikegirllauren who overnight became IN… https://t.co/NR5Y626NhT

17 Oct 2019 10:20