Salisbury city parking to be free for shoppers and visitors
Parking will be free in Salisbury City from this Saturday (24 March) until further notice, to help support local businesses during the ongoing situation.
Wiltshire Council has decided to make parking all its car parks in the city free in response to feedback from local businesses that this is needed to help encourage shoppers and visitors into the city centre to enjoy what is on offer.
Anyone using a short stay car park will still have a maximum stay of 3 hours of free parking, so the spaces can be used by as many people as possible.
Baroness Scott OBE, leader of Wiltshire Council, said: "We know people are rightly concerned about Salisbury, and it is important we encourage residents and visitors to enjoy our beautiful and historic city and to promote that it is very much business as usual. We are working diligently with local and national agencies and the local MP John Glen to support the local community and businesses. We recognise that providing free car parking will help to increase the number of visitors and shopper footfall in the city centre.
"We will be doing everything we can to assist and support Salisbury through this extraordinary situation."
Park & Ride will also continue to be free of charge for anyone boarding from one of the five city Park & Ride sites.
Signs promoting free parking will be erected in all Wiltshire Council operated car parks.
This initiative is part of a multi-agency approach to promote that it's business as usual in Salisbury city centre.
The car parks offering free parking are:
- Brown Street East - Maximum stay 3 hours
- Brown Street West - Maximum stay 3 hours
- Central - Maximum stay all day
- Central - Maximum stay 3 hours
- College Street - Maximum stay all day
- Culver Street - Maximum stay all day
- Five Rivers Leisure Centre - Maximum stay 3 hours
- Lush House - Maximum stay 3 hours
- Maltings - Maximum stay 3 hours
- Millstream - Maximum stay all day
- Salt Lane - Maximum stay 3 hours
- Southampton Road - Maximum stay all day