Level two heatwave alert issued
Public Health England has announced a level two heatwave alert.
A level two alert is triggered when there is a probability of 60% or higher of heatwave conditions. Heatwaves can be dangerous, especially for the very young or very old or those with chronic disease. Advice on how to reduce the risk either for yourself or somebody you know can be obtained from NHS Choices, NHS 111 or from your local chemist.
We have a number of key messages to help those at risk stay well in the hot conditions:
- Keep out of the sun between 11am and 3pm
- If you do go out in the heat, wear UV sunglasses to reduce sun exposure to your eyes
- Avoid extreme physical exertion
- Have plenty of cold drinks and avoid excess alcohol, caffeine or drinks high in sugar
- Eat cold foods, particularly salads and fruit with a high water content
- Shade or cover windows exposed to direct sunlight and keep windows that are exposed to the sun shut during the day