Top 10 tips for keeping bins ‘wheelie' clean and odour-free this summer
Here are some top tips to keep your bins clean and odour-free during the warm summer months. Proper disposal of waste and a few simple measures can ensure waste doesn't become a nuisance.
Top 10 tips for managing waste:
- Try not to leave food outside or on food preparation surfaces for too long, especially if you're having a BBQ. Put food waste in the kitchen bin as soon as possible to avoid flies landing and laying eggs.
- Make sure to keep the lid of the wheelie bin closed to avoid flies entering the bin and laying eggs.
- If possible, store all wheelie bins out of direct sunlight. This will help to reduce smells and help prevent flies from being attracted to your waste.
- Rinse out plastic bottles before putting them in the plastic bottle and card bin and rinse out jars and tins before putting them in the black box. This can be done at the end of the washing up to save water.
- Wrap food waste in newspaper or plastic bags before putting it in the bin.
- Put used nappies in bags before putting them in the bin.
- Try to only buy the food required. The average family wastes £60 worth of food each month. For lots of hints and tips to reduce food waste visit the Love food hate waste website
- Buy a food waste digester - Wiltshire residents can purchase one at a discounted price. For more information visit the Great Green Systems website
- Remember to put bins out by 7am on your collection day.
- Waste that will not fit into your black wheelie bin should be taken to the nearest household recycling centre. Bags placed beside the household waste bin will not be collected.