Managing household waste in hot weather
With temperatures set to soar this weekend, here are our top 10 tips for managing waste in hot weather:
- Try not to leave food outside or on food preparation surfaces for too long, especially if having a barbeque.
- Put food waste into the kitchen bin as soon as possible to avoid flies landing and laying eggs.
- Make sure to keep the lid of the wheelie bin closed to avoid flies being able to enter the bin and lay eggs.
- If possible, store all wheeled bins out of direct sunlight. This will help to reduce smells and help prevent flies from being attracted to your waste.
- Rinse out plastic bottles before putting them in the plastic bottle and card bin and rinse out jars and tins before putting them in the black box. This can be done at the end of the washing up to save water.
- Wrap food waste in newspaper or plastic bags before placing into the bin.
- Put used nappies in bags before putting them in the bin.
- Try to only buy the food required. The average family wastes £60 worth of food each month. For lots of hints and tips to reduce food waste visit www.lovefoodhatewaste.com
- Buy a food waste digester - Wiltshire residents can purchase one at a discounted price.
- Remember to put bins out by 7am on your collection day.
- Waste that will not fit into your black wheeled bin should be taken to the nearest household recycling centre. Bags placed beside the household waste bin will not be collected.