If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Dropped kerb applications

Customer notice

We are currently updating our website with a cleaner, mobile-friendly design. This page will be updated with the new design soon. Thank you for your patience.

Please tell us what you think about our website, we welcome your feedback.

Anyone wishing to construct a private vehicle access from the highway into their property must apply to us for permission to do so and we will send you an application pack. Please also be aware of the following:

  • In some circumstances planning permission is also required, (e.g. if you intend to carry out excavation works, live in a listed building or conservation area or where permitted development rights have been removed under an earlier planning permission). On receipt of your completed application form we will make these enquiries on your behalf to the planning office.
  • We also need to know if your access will cross any public land and if this is the case you will need to ask the landowners permission.
  • If you are a council/housing association tenant or rent your property please first obtain the consent of your landlord before applying and enclose their written agreement with the return of the application form.
  • We also ask that you please include a diagram of the proposed access.

In the interest of safety and liability it is essential that all works are undertaken by an appropriately licensed contractor. You can select any contractor, but they must hold public liability insurance for a minimum of £5 million and street works accreditation and will need to provide documentary evidence if the council does not already hold up-to-date copies of these documents.

As the Highway Authority for Wiltshire (excl. Swindon Borough Council), we have a statutory duty to protect gas, water, electric cables and pipes that might be affected when works are on, or next to the highway. When an application is submitted for private access to the highway, we will make enquiries into the location of these utilities on your behalf.

An information sheet detailing the required specification of your vehicle access will be sent with your application pack. For further advice please telephone or email us.

Please note that work must not commence until written authorisation is issued.


Please contact us for an application form and specification. This application form is only for vehicle accesses onto unclassified roads.

There is a £121.00 (rising to £127.10 from 1 April 2017) charge for the administration process of the application and applicants are responsible for all costs of the actual construction works involved.

Telephone 01225 713352

Email vehicleaccess@wiltshire.gov.uk

Contact Details (LiveLink)

Multiple Contacts:
eMail: localhighways@wiltshire.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 456 0105
Out of hours:
Fax: 01225 713488
Postal Address:

Customer Services
Wiltshire Council
County Hall
BA14 8JN

In Person:

Last updated: 14 March 2016


  • Pay
  • Report
  • Book
  • Apply


This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Choose your address - step one

To view contact details for this service, first, enter your postcode.

Choose your address

I live outside Wiltshire

Call us

Tel: 0300 456 0105

Fax: 01225 713488

Write to us

Customer Services
Wiltshire Council
County Hall
BA14 8JN