Purpose of the Plan
The purpose of the Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations Plan is to support the delivery of new housing set out in the Wiltshire Core Strategy (adopted January 2015).
The DPD will address two key matters:
- Revise, where necessary, settlement boundaries in relation to the Principal Settlements of Salisbury and Trowbridge, Market Towns, Local Service Centres and Large Villages; Further information is available below, and
- Allocate new sites for housing to ensure the delivery of homes across the plan period in order to maintain a five year land supply in each of Wiltshire’s three Housing Market Areas over the period to 2026.
The plan will present proposals and associated policies designed to be in general conformity with the adopted Wiltshire Core Strategy and national planning policy. It will consider sites in relation to the geographic area of Wiltshire, but excluding Chippenham which has been dealt with in a separate DPD
‘Settlement boundaries’ are essentially defined as the dividing line between areas of built / urban development (“the settlement”) and non-urban or rural development (“the open countryside”). At present, settlement boundaries exist at Wiltshire’s Principal Settlements, Market Towns, Local Service Centres and Large Villages, as defined by draft Core Policy 2 of the emerging Wiltshire Core Strategy.
The existing ‘settlement boundaries’ were originally drawn up several years ago and included within the old District Council Local Plans. The Council did not review the extent of the boundaries to inform the Wiltshire Core Strategy (WCS) and relied upon the former district local plans. They would instead be reviewed as a part of preparing the Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations Plan.
The Council has undertaken a comprehensive review of the boundaries to ensure they are up-to-date and adequately reflect changes which have happened since they were first established. The Plan amends settlement boundaries where necessary. It is also the prerogative of local communities to review them through the preparation of neighbourhood plans.
Submission of the Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations Plan
The Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations Plan was submitted to the Secretary of State on 31 July 2018.
For more information on the examination, please go to the Examination Page.
The documents submitted to the Secretary of State can be viewed here.
Copies of the submission documents are available to view at the following locations during normal opening hours:
- Chippenham: Monkton Park, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15 1ER
- Salisbury: The Council House, Bourne Hill, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 3UZ
- Trowbridge: County Hall, Bythesea Road, Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14 8JN
In addition, documents can also be viewed at all Wiltshire Council libraries during normal hours (apart from those marked with an asterisk (*) which are available in hard copy at the hubs only).
Submitted documents and representations
Accompanying the submission documents is a document library of supporting evidence which will be available in due course.
Copies of representations made during the pre-submission consultation are summarised in document WHSAP/12 Regulation 22 (1) (c) Report Consultation Statement Appendix Q Schedule of Representations. Copies of original representations can be made available on request.
- WHSAP/01 Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations Plan Submission Document
- WHSAP/02 Notice of submission of the Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations Plan
- WHSAP/03 Schedule of Proposed Changes July 2018
- WHSAP/04 Appendix 3 to Cabinet Report Note on Elm Grove Field
- WHSAP/05 Heritage Impact Assessment (LUC) March 2018
- WHSAP/06 Appendix 5 to Cabinet Report Heritage Note May 2018
- WHSAP/07 Trowbridge Transport Strategy Refresh May 2018
- WHSAP/08 Salisbury Transport Strategy Draft Strategy Refresh July 2018
- WHSAP/08A Salisbury Transport Strategy Summary June 2018
- WHSAP/09 Regulation 22 (1) (c) Report July 2018 Consultation Statement
- WHSAP/10 Regulation 22 (1) (c) Report Consultation Statement Appendices A-L
- WHSAP/11 Regulation 22 (1) (c) Report Consultation Statement Appendices M-P
- WHSAP/12* Regulation 22 (1) (c) Report Consultation Statement Appendix Q Schedule of Representations
- WHSAP/13* Consultation Statement - Statement of Early Community Engagement June 2017
- WHSAP/14* Consultation Statement - Reg 18 Consultation Report 24th March-5th May 2014
- WHSAP/15* Consultation Statement Report on the Informal Consultation on Settlement Boundaries 28th July-22nd Sept 2014
- WHSAP/16* Consultation Statement Report on the Informal Consultation on the Site Assessment Methodology 23rd Feb-31st March 2015
- WHSAP/17* Consultation Statement Report on the Informal Consultation on the Approach to Large Villages 30th June-12th August 2015
- WHSAP/18* Report on Landowner Deliverability Consultation 21st August-2nd October 2015
- WHSAP/19 Landscape TEP report Submission Part 1
- WHSAP/20 Landscape TEP report Submission Part 2
- WHSAP/21 Landscape TEP report Submission Part 3
- WHSAP/22 Statement on 'Duty to Co-operate' June 2017
- WHSAP/23 Statement on 'Duty to Co-operate' - Addendum July 2018
- WHSAP/24 Equalities and Diversity Impact Assessment
- WHSAP/25 Assessment of Viability BNP Paribas June 2017
- WHSAP/26 Letter from Secretary of State to Chief Executive of Planning Inspectorate (July 2015)
- WHSAP/27* Compliance Statement
- WHSAP/28* Revisions to Wiltshire’s Policies Map
- TOP/01 Topic Paper 1: Settlement Boundary Review Methodology
- TOP/02 Topic Paper 2: Site Selection Process Methodology
- TOP/03A Topic Paper 3: Housing Land Supply June 2017
- TOP/03B Topic Paper 3: Housing Land Supply Addendum July 2018
- TOP/03C Topic Paper 3 – Addendum: Housing Land Supply Submission Version
- TOP/04A Topic Paper 4: Developing Plan Proposals June 2017
- TOP/04B Topic Paper 4: Developing Plan Proposals Addendum May 2018
- TOP/04C Topic Paper 4 – Addendum: Developing Plan Proposals Submission Version July 2018
Community Area Topic Papers
- CATP/01 Amesbury Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/02 Bradford on Avon Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/03 Calne Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/04 Chippenham Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/05 Corsham Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/06 Devizes Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/07 Malmesbury Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/08 Marlborough Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/09 Melksham Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/10 Mere Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/11 Pewsey Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/12 Royal Wootton Bassett & Cricklade Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/13 Salisbury Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/14 Southern Wiltshire Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/15 Tidworth Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/16 Tisbury Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/17 Trowbridge Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/18 Warminster Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/19 Westbury Community Area Topic Paper
- CATP/20 Wilton Community Area Topic Paper
- SA/01A Sustainability Appraisal May 2018
- SA/01B Sustainability Appraisal Non Technical Summary
- SA/01A.1 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.1 Amesbury Community Area Remainder
- SA/01A.2 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.2 Amesbury, Bulford & Durrington
- SA/01A.3 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.3 Chippenham Community Area Remainder
- SA/01A.4 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.4 Devizes Community Area Remainder
- SA/01A.5 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.5 Malmesbury Community Area Remainder
- SA/01A.6 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.6 Salisbury & Wilton
- SA/01A.7 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.7 Tidworth & Ludgershall
- SA/01A.8 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.8 Tisbury Community Area Remainder
- SA/01A.9 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.9 Trowbridge
- SA/01A.10 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.10 Warminster Community Area Remainder
- SA/01A.11 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.11 Warminster
- SA/01A.12 Sustainability Appraisal Annex 1 - A.12 Westbury Community Area Remainder
- SA/01C Sustainability Appraisal Annex II
- SA/02 Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations DPD and Chippenham Site Allocations Plan - Sustainability Appraisal/ Strategic Environmental Assessment – Scoping Report
Habitats Regulations Assessment
- HRA/01 Assessment under the Habitats Regulations June 2017
- HRA/02 Addendum to the Assessment under the Habitat Regulations May 2018
- HRA/03 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
* those marked with an asterisk (*) are available in hard copy at the hubs only
Community engagement and consultation
To assist with the preparation of this Plan, the Council has so far undertaken three consultation exercises:
The council undertook an informal consultation with Parish and Town Councils whose area includes settlements with existing boundary lines. The decision to solely engage at this stage with Parish and Town Councils was taken because they are elected to represent their respective communities and have detailed knowledge of their local area. However, in the interests of openness, the consultation material was made publicly available. The informal consultation ran for an 8-week period, from Monday 28 July until Monday 22 September 2014.
Informal consultation with parish and town councils and other stakeholders on a draft methodology and initial findings relating to the identification of housing allocations (February – March 2015). This has been followed up with a targeted consultation of Parish Councils with Large Villages (June – August 2015).
Wiltshire Council published the draft Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations Plan, along with accompanying evidence reports, for formal consultation during a 10 week consultation period, which ran from Friday 14 July 2017 until 5:00pm on Friday 22 September 2017.
Copies of all comments are now available to view via this link to the consultation portal.
Following the consultation, the council is now considering the comments received before submitting the draft Plan and supporting evidence to the Secretary of State for examination. All comments received during this consultation will be passed on to the appointed independent Planning Inspector at that stage.
The draft Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations Plan was approved by Wiltshire Council’s Cabinet on 20 June 2017. To view the papers that went to cabinet please follow this link.
The next steps in the preparation of the Wiltshire Housing Site Allocations Plan are outlined in the timetable that is set out in the latest Local Development Scheme (LDS) (2017) and can be found below:
- Initial consultation on the scope of plan April 2014 May 2014
- Plan preparation (including evidence gathering and informal consultation) May 2014 May 2017
- Publication of plan for pre submission consultation Commencing Qtr 3 2017
- Submission to Secretary of State During Qtr 2 2018
- Examination (including hearing and receipt of Inspector's report) Over the period Qtr 3-4 2018
- Adoption During Qtr 4 2018