Your recycling is collected every fortnight in the following containers:
- Up to two wheeled bins for recycling plastic bottles and cardboard
- Up to two black recycling box for recycling cans, glass, paper and clothes
- Chargeable wheeled bins for recycling garden waste
To order a new bin, use the online form on the new and replacement bins page.
If you are unable to store wheeled bins, we may be able to offer you a bagged collection service. Please contact us on 0300 456 0102 to discuss the options available.
What can I put in my black box?
Please put all clothes, shoes and accessories in tied plastic bags to keep them dry. We can't collect wet items or those in black refuse sacks/charity bag.
You can place any extra glass, cans, paper or textiles into separate open carrier bags (not black bags) and place next to your black box. If you frequently find you have extra recycling, you can order a second black box.
- Clean food tins
- Drinks cans
- Empty aerosols
- Clean foil and foil trays
- Metal biscuit tins
- Newspapers and magazines
- Directories and catalogues
- Envelopes (no need to remove windows)
- Clean glass bottles
- Clean glass jars (leave the lids on)
- Pairs of shoes, belts, handbags
- Curtains and sheets
- Blankets and duvet covers
- Dirty cans or tins, please rinse all recyclables first
- Crisp packets and sweet wrappers
- Scrap metals
- Cardboard (this goes in your blue-lidded bin)
- Shredded paper (this goes in your blue-lidded bin)
- Gift wrap (you can put non-foil gift wrap in your blue-lidded bin)
- Flat glass
- Broken glass
What can I put in my blue-lidded bin?
Please empty, wash and squash all plastic bottles. Leave lids on.
- Washing up liquid bottles
- Bleach bottles
- Laundry liquid and fabric conditioner bottles
- Cooking oil bottles
- Drinks bottles
- Juice or squash bottles
- Milk and yoghurt drink bottles
- Handwash bottles
- Shampoo and conditioner bottles
- Cereal boxes
- Egg boxes
- Ready meal sleeves
- Food packaging boxes and sleeves
- Brown paper
- Greetings cards
- Wrapping paper (but not the foil kind)
- Pizza boxes
- Shoe boxes
- Shredded paper
- Toilet and kitchen rolls
- Corrugated cardboard
- All other plastics
- Cling film
- Carrier bags and bin liners
- Crisp packets
- Disposable drinks cups
- Food trays
- Plastic tubs
- Yoghurt pots
- Plastic packaging
- Plant pots
- Boxes with plastic windows, please remove the window first
- Foil-lined cardboard tubes (eg Pringles tubes)
- Tetra Paks
- Food and drink cartons
What can I put in my chargeable garden waste bin?
The garden waste collection service is chargeable. Please our garden waste page for more information.
- Grass cuttings
- Cut flowers
- Hedge clippings
- House plants (please remove soil)
- Twigs and small branches
- Untreated sawdust and wood shavings
- Real Christmas trees (can be left next to your bin)
- Any food waste including fruit, vegetables, peelings, coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells, meat
- Animal waste
- Pet litter
- Dirty pet bedding
- Soil or turf
- Bricks, stones or rubble
- Paper, shredded paper or card
- Large items of garden waste
- Large branches or logs
- Seed trays and plant pots
How can I recycle other items?
This includes other plastics
Many items, including clean plastics such as containers, pots, packaging and rigid plastics including toys garden furniture, can be recycled at your local household recycling centre.
Real Christmas trees
Need help putting your bin out?
If you find it difficult to put out your rubbish and recycling bins or bags, you can apply for an assisted collection by calling us on 0300 456 0102