This service is for people who are applying to become British citizens.
There are often changes to the evidence required, please click the button below for more information.
We are sorry, but we cannot offer immigration advice.
The Nationality Checking Service (NCS)
- Check that forms have been completed correctly and in full (in particular, we will check that the forms have been signed)
- Check that the correct fee has been submitted
- Photocopy valuable documents, such as passports and marriage certificates. Collect and submit Life in the UK certificates and other evidence of competence in the English language.
- Certify the copies and return the originals to you
- Forward applications to the Nationality Group by special delivery.
The Home Office will inform you by letter if your application is successful. At that time, you will be given the telephone number to ring to book an appointment for your ceremony in Wiltshire. You may bring 2 guests to your ceremony.Close
The ceremony will last about 30 minutes, but you will be asked to arrive at least 15 minutes before to have your documents checked and enjoy some refreshments.
- Introduction and welcome
- New citizens will swear or affirm their allegiance to the Queen and make a pledge of loyalty
- Presentation of the citizenship certificate
- National Anthem
Photographs can be taken of the actual presentation and may also be possible after the ceremony with the dignitaries attending the ceremony.Close
If it is not possible for you to attend a group ceremony, you may have a private individual ceremony, for which there will be an extra charge. Please contact the same number given in the Home Office letter if you wish to do this.Close