This service is for people who are applying to become British citizens.
There are often changes to the evidence required, please click the button below for more information.
We are sorry, but we cannot offer immigration advice.
The Nationality Checking Service (NCS)
For those applying for British citizenship via PAPER application form. Please note that passport checking is no longer available with this service.
- Check that forms have been completed correctly and in full (in particular, we will check that the forms have been signed)
- Check that the correct fee has been submitted
- Photocopy valuable documents, such as passports and marriage certificates. Collect and submit Life in the UK certificates and other evidence of competence in the English language
- Certify the copies and return the originals to you
- Forward applications to the Nationality Group by special delivery
Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) and Joint Passport Checking Service (JCAP)
NDRS is for those applying for British Citizenship Online via naturalisation (AN) or Registration of Minors (MN1). To use this service please submit your application for British Citizenship online and make an appointment with us within 10 working days of the date of submission.
NDRS allows you to keep hold of your original passport and other supporting documents whilst your application is processed by UKVI. You can also apply for your first UK passport at the same time via Joint Passport and Application Checking (JCAP).
This is not a fast-track service and we cannot provide any advice in relation to the content of your British citizenship application. We do not provide immigration advice. If this is required please contact the Home Office on 0300 123 2253.
We will photocopy and authenticate your current passport and supporting documents which will then be returned to you. If applying for a UK passport, your passport application will be checked.
When attending your appointment you MUST bring your:
- Original passport
- Document checklist including your unique Payment Notification Number (PNN)
- Printed referee page
- 1 UK passport standard photograph of yourself
- Other original supporting documents as required
If applying for your UK passport via JCAP you MUST also bring:
- A completed passport applicaiton form
- Method of payment of the passport fee with completed form
- 2 additional UK passport standard photographs of yourself, identical to the one used for NDRS
Your passport applicaiton MUST be in exactly the same name as your citizenship application and your existing passport.
The authenticated photocopies of your passport and supporting documents,, the original photograph(s), printed document checklist, printed referee page and passport application (if applicable) will be sent to UKVI via Royal Mail Special Delivery.
The Home Office will inform you by letter if your application is successful. At that time, you will be given the telephone number to ring to book an appointment for your ceremony in Wiltshire. You may bring 2 guests to your ceremony.Close
The ceremony will last about 30 minutes, but you will be asked to arrive at least 15 minutes before to have your documents checked and enjoy some refreshments.
- Introduction and welcome
- New citizens will swear or affirm their allegiance to the Queen and make a pledge of loyalty
- Presentation of the citizenship certificate
- National Anthem
Photographs can be taken of the actual presentation and may also be possible after the ceremony with the dignitaries attending the ceremony.Close
If it is not possible for you to attend a group ceremony, you may have a private individual ceremony, for which there will be an extra charge. Please contact the same number given in the Home Office letter if you wish to do this.Close