Wiltshire Council waste collection service
Wiltshire Council (hereafter referred to as we) will collect household waste and recyclable materials on alternate fortnights in accordance with a published schedule where possible except in circumstances beyond our control. If this occurs, then collections will be re-scheduled. Collections are currently fortnightly.
Householders can opt to pay for garden waste collections. If you have subscribed and your garden bin displays a valid sticker, we will collect in accordance with a published schedule where possible except in circumstances beyond our control. If this occurs, then collections will be re-scheduled.
Householders can arrange a chargeable collection of large items such as furniture or white goods.
If your large goods are unsuitable for reuse, we can collect these from outside of your property for a charge. We are unable to enter your property to collect large items. Householders can request this service by calling us on 0300 456 0102.
Upon request, we will provide a separate collection of Clinical Waste from householders who self-administer medication or treatment at home. (e.g. discharged sharps from injection of insulin for the control of diabetes or waste from home kidney dialysis treatment.) Where additional household waste is generated because of the householder’s or a member of the household’s illness or disability, which may include Offensive healthcare waste which may be landfilled, additional household waste capacity may be provided without charge at the discretion of the council.
Prior to becoming a unitary authority, each district council had responsibility for delivering waste collection services. There remains some inconsistency in the size and colour of containers in use across the county. Bins previously issued will remain in use until replacement is required due to loss or damage, however caused. It is not our current policy to charge for replacement containers although this policy is subject to change. Following a decision by Cabinet in October 2010 (available in the links section) any new or replacement bins provided will be: -
- One wheeled bin for household residual waste. Standard bin will be (Grey lid) size 180 litres. We will collect household waste contained in grey lid wheeled bins or labelled bags where space is restricted. Household waste should only contain materials that cannot be recycled. We will not collect any additional waste not inside the bin with the lid closed.
- One wheeled bin for mixed recycling. Standard bin will be (Blue lid) size 240 litres. Plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays, food cartons, drink cartons, flattened cardboard, food and drinks cans, aerosols, paper, textiles and foil in blue lid wheeled bins or issued tagged bags where space is restricted. You can order a second bin free of charge if you need one.
- One black recycling box or basket for glass and textile recycling. We will collect glass bottles and jars in kerbside recycling boxes or baskets as provided. We will collect bagged clean textiles and paired shoes presented in tied carrier bags. Additional glass recyclables will be collected if separately presented in carrier bags (not black sacks or charity bags). You can order a second box free of charge if you need one.
- One wheeled bin for garden waste to householders who subscribe to this service. Standard bin will be (Green lid) size 180 litres. For householders who have subscribed and display a valid sticker we will collect garden waste contained in green lid wheeled bins or issued tagged bags where space is restricted, grass cuttings, hedge clippings, shrub prunings, plants, leaves, weeds. We will not collect soil, stone/concrete, plastic, metal, vegetable peelings from food preparation or windfall fruit. You can order and pay for additional bins on a renewable yearly agreement. Garden waste can be disposed of at any of Wiltshire Council’s household recycling centres.
All bins and other containers provided are allocated to the property and not the householder and will remain the property of the council. Residents moving out of that property must leave the containers at that property, and inform the council if they have approved additional containers for household waste. Householders are required to keep the containers in a safe location on their property, use them only for their designated purpose, keep them clean and report any loss or damage.
Standard size bins as detailed above will be issued as replacements. Householders are recommended to apply their house name or number to the bin, box or bag. The use of adhesive letters/numbers is preferred. No additional signage, advertising material or decoration is permitted, unless supplied by the council. We will only collect household waste, recyclable materials or garden waste placed out for collection in containers approved by the council.
We will collect your waste and recycling if you have:
- Put your correct bins out before 7am on your collection day
- Put your bins at the edge of your property, at the kerbside, with the handle facing the road
- Put your waste in securely tied bags inside your bin - we will not collect rubbish left next to your bin except reasonable quantities of bagged additional dry recyclable materials (not black bags or charity bags) and flattened cardboard
- Made sure your bin lid is closed
- Taken in your bin as soon as possible after collection but no later than 10.00 pm on the scheduled day of collection. If containers are continually left out after the agreed time then enforcement action may be taken, after appropriate warnings have been issued.
- We will not empty bins if they are not out by 7am on your collection day, due to lids not being fully closed, if we determine the bin is overweight or contains the wrong material for that bin or if a bin is damaged. We will affix a sticker to the bin to inform the householder of the reason why it has not been emptied. Re-usable bags, boxes or baskets for recyclable materials or garden waste must not be overfilled to prevent escape of material. If we believe that commercial waste is contained in household waste bin then the bin will not be emptied. If this occurs, then enforcement action may be taken. Our collection vehicles are fitted with a computer system that enables the crew to record all the above information. You can only report a collection as missed if you have followed the steps above. If a collection has been missed and you have complied with the above requirements, we will return within three working days to collect. You should take in your bin as soon as possible after collection but no later than 10.00 pm on the scheduled day of collection. If containers are continually left out after the agreed time then enforcement action may be taken, after appropriate warnings have been issued.
If we think the storage space or access to and from the point of collection is not suitable for wheeled bins, for example steep paths or grass verges, excessive or difficult steps, unsuitable communal accesses of the property occupied by a householder we will implement the following arrangements: -
- We will collect disposable refuse sacks for household waste, up to three sacks per fortnight, if they each have a council-issued label attached. An annual allocation of printed labels will be issued by the council These disposable plastic sacks for household residual waste must be provided by the householder and must be securely tied to prevent escape of contents
- We will provide and empty up to 4 blue 60 litre reusable bags (equivalent capacity to a 240 litre bin) per fortnight for recycling plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays, food cartons, drink cartons, cardboard, food and drinks cans, aerosols, paper, textiles and foil
- We will provide and empty up to 4 green 45 litre reusable bags or bags (equivalent capacity to a standard issue of a 180 litre wheeled bin) per fortnight for householders who have subscribed to our garden waste service
- For houses in multiple occupation, flats, grouped dwellings and sheltered accommodation we will work with landlords and developers where appropriate to determine the most suitable containers for communal use
We will provide an assisted collection where we are satisfied that the householder is unable to place their household waste at the appropriate point for collection due to illness, physical inability or infirmity, whether permanent or temporary, and there is no other able-bodied person living in the household to assist.
All requests will be dealt with on an individual basis and the assistance may be provided by changing the point of collection, the container provided or both. You can apply online or by calling us on 0300 456 0102.
Medical evidence is not required but you will have to answer some questions to assess your request and ensure you meet the qualifying criteria.
An authorised officer of the council’s contractor will visit each collection location to assess the proposed collection point to comply with health and safety. The collection point may need to be reviewed periodically. If they deem the proposed collection point inappropriate or unsafe, the contractor will contact the householder to discuss an alternative collection point. Where no such collection point is agreed, a site visit will be arranged with a council officer, a representative of the contractor and the householder to resolve.
Unless the officer considers there are obvious reasons to refuse the request, he/she will agree the assistance most appropriate in that situation. Where applications are refused, the householder will be informed in writing and they will have the opportunity to appeal.
You can request up to two black boxes and blue lidded recycling bins free of charge. Where we are satisfied that all reasonable measures are being taken to reduce and recycle waste a further container may be provided for residual household waste. A waste officer will contact you to assess your eligibility and may arrange to carry out a waste audit to confirm. If additional capacity is approved the appropriate container(s) for residual household waste will be provided. The need for these will be reviewed on a regular basis.Close