Exit Accessibility View

Exclusions of pupils

Permanent exclusion is a very serious matter. Only a school's headteacher can permanently exclude a pupil or a named deputy if the headteacher is out of school.


Not normally, unless the headteacher feels they must take action immediately to protect the pupils and staff in the school. Permanent exclusion is used as a last resort.


The school can ask us to review the statement if your child is at risk of permanent exclusion. You would be invited to the review meeting where other ways of dealing with your child's behaviour can be discussed to try to avoid permanent exclusion.


The school may present evidence about your child's educational ability, behaviour and social background as well as the facts surrounding the incident which led to the permanent exclusion. We will provide our view and say whether it feels that permanent exclusion is appropriate or not. You will receive copies of this information in advance of the hearing.


The headteacher or their representative will make contact with you by telephone if possible and will write to you on the same day setting out the circumstances and reasons for exclusion.  The exclusion would normally begin on the next school day.


You can put your views in writing and in person to school governors at a meeting of their discipline committee. The clerk to the discipline committee will write to give you the date and time of the meeting.


It is made up of three to five of the school's governors. They follow guidance from the government and us to decide whether exclusion is being carried out correctly in the school.

The governors will consider the views of the school, you your child and us. The governors can decide to uphold your child's permanent exclusion or allow your child to return to school.


You can appeal to an independent appeal panel. You have up to 15 days to lodge an appeal after you have received confirmation from the discipline committee that your child has been permanently excluded.

  • By telephone: 01225 718230 (Single Point of Contact - Early Help)
  • By post:

Early Help Service,

Wiltshire Council

County Hall,

Bythesea Road,


BA14 8JN


Share this page

Last updated: 14 October 2016 | Last reviewed: 14 October 2016