From September 2014 the law is changing to allow more two year olds to benefit from free childcare than ever before. In Wiltshire, we are bringing forward the rule changes to April and have branded the funding as ‘Better 2gether Funding’.
Which two year olds are eligible for funding from April 2014?
Parents who are in receipt of one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support under part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit and have an annual household income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
Or if the Two Year Old:
- Has a current Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care Plan
- Has left Local Authority care through Special Guardianship, Adoption or Residence Order
- Is currently a Looked After Child, for example in Foster Care
- Is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
How to apply
Parents and carers need to complete the form.
If an application is being made on the basis of Tax Credit or DLA then proof of these is required. Applicants should either send in a copy of the relevant document (this is specified on the form) or take their application and proof along to their Children’s Centre for checking
When does funding start?
The following age parameters are used to decide when funding starts:
- Child who becomes 2 years old on or before 31 March – funding from 1 April
- Child who becomes 2 years old on or before 31 August – funding from 1 September
- Child who becomes 2 years old on or before 31 December – funding from 1 January
These children will then move automatically on to three year old funding, which is available for a maximum of 15 hours a week.
It is encouraged that all families, receiving this funding, engage with their local children’s centre.
Which childcare providers deliver the funded two year old places?
We fund all childcare providers who currently hold either a good or outstanding Ofsted grading.
To find eligible childcare providers in your locality, please use our online childcare directory. (NB You will need to select ‘2 year old funding’ at the bottom of the search page).
Number of funded places
- From April 2014: 1000 places
- From September 2014: 1300 places
- Funded 2 year olds - child record sheet 97kb Funded 2 year olds - child record sheet
- Progress record for 2 year old funded children 89kb Progress record for 2 year old funded children
- Every Child a Talker (ECAT) child monitoring tool 71kb Every Child a Talker (ECAT) child monitoring tool
Last updated: 17 April 2014