If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Performance licences for school age children

Customer notice

We are currently updating our website with a cleaner, mobile-friendly design. This page will be updated with the new design soon. Thank you for your patience.

Please tell us what you think about our website, we welcome your feedback.

Shortcuts for performance licences for school age children

About this service

The rules governing children in entertainment cover children who take part in 'performances' including all broadcast performances, photography or modelling. Any child engaged in these occupations must have a licence issued by the local authority.

Application for a licence must be signed by the parents and accompanied by a photograph. The local authority must be satisfied that arrangements for the supervision and protection of the child are adequate and that the disruption to the child's education is kept to a minimum.

The legislation which demands this licensing is The Children and Young Persons Acts 1933 and 1963 and The Children (performances and activities) Regulations 2014.

Key issues covered by the regulations are:

  • is the child/young person below minimum school leaving age?
  • does the child reside in the area covered by Wiltshire Council?
  • is there a charge made for admission?
  • is the performance within licensed premises?
  • is it broadcast on television?
  • is it intended for filming?
  • is it in school time? If so, a consultation must be made with the child's headteacher
  • is the child/young person fit to take part?
  • is the activity safe?

The young person does not require a Performance Licence if you answer 'no' to all of the following statements:

  • Is payment made to the child?
  • Has the child performed for more than 3 days in the previous six months?
  • Is the total performance time for this application more than 4 days?
  • Is absence from school required?

We are required to keep records of the performance and issue an exemption certificate. Please complete the PDFexemption certificate exemption certificate 34kb and return to us.

In the following instances no Performance Licence or Exemption Certificate is required:

  • no payment is made to the child and the performance is arranged by a school
  • no payment is made to the child and the performance is exempted by the Secretary of State, e.g. scout gang shows

See: Whether your child will need a licence?

Contact Details (LiveLink)

Multiple Contacts:
eMail: pnlo@wiltshire.gov.uk
Telephone: 01722 438123
Out of hours:
Postal Address:

Early Help - Operational Children's Services
Wiltshire Council
PO BOX 2281

In Person:

Related documents

Last updated: 17 February 2015



This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Your current location

Outside Wiltshire

Forget this address

Call us

Tel: 01722 438123

Write to us

Early Help - Operational Children's Services
Wiltshire Council
PO BOX 2281

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make our website, and your experience of using it, better. You can access the content on this page without setting cookies but the site will not remember you and you will be required to enter your details again.

To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy policy

Do you accept the use of cookies?