All consumers with an enquiry or complaint must begin the process by calling or emailing the Consumer helpline, as detailed below. Please do not write or send documents to the Trading Standards Department unless you are requested to do so. The consumer helpline is operated on behalf of Trading Standards and will keep them informed of your complaint and its progress. Trading Standards are unable to accept complaints direct – all complaints must begin via the helpline where practical advice will be offered. Any matter involving criminal activity will be automatically notified to the relevant trading standards for both consumer and business.
To promote and maintain a safe and fair trading environment for the benefit of consumers and businesses.
We achieve this through:
- Working with our partner organisation Citizens Advice Consumer Service.
- In partnership with the Citizens Advice Consumer Service; providing consumer advice, information and education to create confident, knowledgeable and demanding consumers.
- Securing compliance with the law to protect the consumer and to ensure legitimate businesses are not undermined by unfair competition and unfair trading practices.
- Providing advice and guidance to help reputable businesses comply with the law, plus advice for manufacturers, importers and retailers of all sorts of consumer goods, for farmers, for businesses who provide services to consumers
The following advice is provided by Trading Standards
- If you are in dispute
- Problems with cars
- Problems with goods
- Problems with services
- Home repairs and improvements top tips for consumers 58kb
- Home repairs and improvements top tips for businesses 88kb
- Home repairs and improvements guide to home improvements projects 103kb
- Home repairs and improvements toolkit 107kb
- Information for consumers
- The Little Book of Big Scams (issued by the Metropolitan Police) The Little Book of Big Scams (issued by the Metropolitan Police) 5mb
The Citizens Advice Consumer Service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on behalf of Wiltshire Council Trading Standards for most consumer issues, energy and post. When you use that service to make a complaint, the details will be logged on the Government’s national complaints database, and the details will automatically be notified to Wiltshire Trading Standards Service for review, unless you request otherwise.
If you have a consumer issue and need advice or information you should contact Citizens Advice by telephone on 03454 04 05 06.
For textphone dial 18001 followed by Citizens Advice consumer helpline number 03454 04 05 06.
The Citizens Advice helpline is open every weekday (Monday to Friday) 9am to 5pm, excluding bank and public holidays.
You can get advice by email, by filling out the consumer query online form.
The GOV.UK website has advice on many aspects of living in the UK, including employment, housing, education and debt recovery.
Suspected scams or fraud should be reported to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Please do not send scam mail letters to Trading Standards unless you are asked to do so.
Do not respond to scam mail calls or e-mails. If you require advice or further information, or if you suspect a scam is being operated by someone living or working in Wiltshire, please use the Helpline on 03454 040506 as directed on this web-page, and you will be given advice and information. We will automatically be notified of your call to the Helpline.
Last updated: 30 March 2016