Exit Accessibility View

Concessionary bus pass

Concessionary bus pass for older and disabled persons

Lost or damaged bus pass

There is currently a charge of £10 to replace a lost or damaged Wiltshire Concessionary bus pass.

A payment can be made over the telephone if you have a valid debit or credit card. Please telephone 0300 456 0100 then pick option 4.

Alternatively you can send a cheque or postal order for £10, made payable to Wiltshire Council, with a covering letter confirming your full name, date of birth and full postal address including post code, to the address on the right of this page.

Once payment is received the replacement pass will be sent direct from the printers. This can take up to 10 working days.

The concessionary pass

If you are eligible due to age or  qualifying disability, a concessionary travel pass entitles you to free off-peak travel on local services (from 9:30am to 11pm) Monday to Friday, all day at weekends and Bank Holidays.  

If you move contact the concessionary bus pass team as soon as possible with your old and new contact details, including your full name as well as date of birth.

If you are eligible to the concessionary bus pass due to age and if you continue to use your pass, Wiltshire Council will send you a new pass automatically prior to the expiry date of your current bus pass which you can use immediately. However, if you do not use your pass for an extended period, you remain eligible for a pass but may need to contact Wiltshire Council for your new pass to be issued.

Some people will receive a renewal form approximately one month prior to the renewal date, requesting further information or qualifying evidence of disability.  Return the renewal with the requested information as soon as possible.

If you have not heard from us after five working days of the expiry date of your OLD Wiltshire concessionary bus pass, then contact us. See contact details on the right of this page.

If we have issued a renewed bus pass and it has been posted to the address held on the Wiltshire Council concessionary bus pass system, but you moved and did not inform the Wiltshire concessionary bus pass team, see the contact details on the right of this page. There will be a fee of £10 to issue a replacement pass. Unfortunately we are unable to issue replacement Wiltshire Taxi Vouchers. 

  • Permanent resident of Wiltshire and
  • Who have reached the qualifying age or
  • Qualifies because of their disability, see below
  • If you were born on or before 5 April 1950 your qualifying age is 60
  • If you were born after 5 April 1950 the qualifying age for a concessionary bus pass in England, for both men and women, will be linked to the state pensionable age for a women with that date of birth
  • The state pensionable age for men and women will have harmonised at 65 by 2020

Beyond 2020 the age of eligibility for concessionary travel will continue to increase in line with any future changes to the state pension age.

Calculate the date of your state pension age


You qualify if you are within one of the seven categories listed in the Transport Act 2000, as shown below:

  • Blind or partially sighted
  • Profoundly or severely deaf
  • Without speech
  • Has a disability, or has suffered an injury, that has a substantial or long-term effect on their ability to walk
  • Does not have arms or has long-term loss of use of both arms
  • Has a significant learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • Would, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 have their application refused on the grounds of medical fitness. Examples of those who are currently barred are people with epilepsy, severe mental disorder and liability to sudden attacks of giddiness or fainting. This does not include those who have had their license refused/revoked through the misuse of alcohol or drugs

The disability should be permanent or have lasted at least 12 months, be likely to last 12 months or be likely to recur, and should have a substantial effect on the person's ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.


The scheme offers three options for getting help with the cost of transport, which will differ depending on your eligibility. You can only choose ONE option.

Option 1 – bus pass

The bus pass provides the pass holder with free off peak travel on local bus services anywhere in England between the hours of 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and bank holidays. Additionally in Wiltshire it gives free travel on buses after 11pm, where these operate. Also on certain infrequent bus services it can be used from an earlier time than 9.30am - see the document at the bottom of this page entitled "Concessionary fares exemption".

It can be used on all Connect2Wiltshire services and will give either free travel or a cheaper fare, depending on the service. For more information call the C2W enquiry line 01380 860100. It can also be used on the Salisbury Park and Ride buses.

The bus pass does not cover long distance coach services like National Express and in Swindon it only provides free off peak free travel as in other parts of England.

Option 2 – bus pass plus companion

This is only issued where a person cannot travel unaided due to a disability. It offers the holder the same free national travel as the bus pass but in addition it allows a companion to travel with the pass holder free of charge in Wiltshire and some adjoining authorities with whom we have a reciprocal agreement. Currently these are Swindon, Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Dorset (not including Bournemouth and Poole), Hampshire, Somerset and South Gloucestershire.
See below for required qualifying evidence for this pass.

Option 3 – taxi vouchers

As an alternative to the Wiltshire Bus Pass, Taxi vouchers are available to those who qualify as they use a wheelchair for most of their day-to-day activities and expect this to continue permanently. By signing the "declaration for taxi voucher applicants only" on side one of the application form, you will give up your right to a concessionary bus pass until the following 31 March.

The value of the taxi vouchers issued for a full year is £40.  The vouchers will be posted to you for use from 01 April.

On first application a reduced value of vouchers will be issued for the part year as follows:

  • 01 April to 30 June - £40
  • 01 July to 30 September - £30
  • 01 October to 31 December - £20
  • 01 January to 31 January - £10
  • No taxi vouchers are issued between 01 February and 31 March

Apply online:

If you are applying for a bus pass because you are eligible due to your age, or you want to renew your age related bus pass if the pass has recently expired or is due to expire soon, you can apply online using the link below.  PLEASE NOTE - at present we are unable to accept online applications for passes eligible because of disability - please see the instructions below to apply by post.
Remember you must be entitled to be drawing your state pension to qualify for an age-related concessionary bus pass.
If applying for a new pass online:

  • You must be able to upload documentary proof of both your age and residence and a passport-style photo. The photo can be either a saved picture file or, when requested, you can take one using a webcam or captured via your phone/tablet if applying via mobile device. The documents can also be picture files or can be scans stored in pdf/doc files.   See below for guidance on documents accepted. 

If applying to renew your existing pass online:

  • You will be able to upload a new passport-style photo if you wish. If you have changed address then, even for renewals, upload of proof of residence will still be required and so you must be able to do this if requested.  See below for guidance on documents accepted. 

With all applications you must be able to supply an email address for communication regarding acceptance of, or problems with, your submitted application. You will also be required to provide a password to enable you later to log in (only if requested) to supply an alternative photo, for example, or different documentation proving eligibility.

Apply online here

Apply by post:

Download the travel concession application form available at the bottom of this page, alternatively, application forms are available at Wiltshire council offices.

Applications can be posted to us at the contact address on the application form or handed in at Wiltshire council offices. However we receive your application, your pass or vouchers will be posted to you. 

Don’t forget, with the application form you must include one copy of evidence for each date of birth and residence as well as a copy of your qualifying evidence of disability if applicable, and a recent colour passport-style photograph. Write your name and date of birth on the back of the photograph. See below for more details.

What must I include with my application form?

1. All applicants must include a recent colour passport style photograph with your name and date of birth clearly written on the back in block capitals.

2. All applicants must include evidence of permanent residence in Wiltshire; we will accept a current copy of one of the following:

  • Wiltshire council tax bill
  • Electoral registration
  • Mooring licence
  • TV licence
  • Landline phone bill
  • UK driving licence (a driving licence can only be used as evidence as proof of age OR proof of residence, not both)

3. All applicants must include evidence of age. We will accept a photocopy of one of the following:

  • Recent state pension entitlement letter
  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • UK Driving licence (a driving licence can only be used as evidence of proof of age OR proof of residence, not both)

4. If you are applying for the Wiltshire bus pass because of disability you must include recent evidence of disability. We will accept a copy of one of the following:

  • Recent disability living allowance letter showing the mobility component and eligibility dates, dated no more than 12 months prior
  • Recent personal independence payment (PIP) award letter showing a score of eight points or more from the moving around activity or communicating verbally activity, dated no more than 12 months prior
  • Recent war pensioner's mobility supplement award letter, dated no more than 12 months prior
  • A recent letter from the service personnel and veterans agency stating that you have been certified to have “a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking”
  • A copy of your blue badge (showing serial number, expiry date and photograph)
  • A copy of your latest audio graph showing your hearing reaches 70 + dBHL
  • A copy of your certificate of visual impairment (CVI) showing you are registered as sight impaired (partially sighted)
  • Current evidence from the DVLA that your UK driving licence has recently been refused or revoked on grounds of medical fitness dated no more than 12 months priors. This does not include those who have had their licence refused/revoked through misuse of alcohol or drugs

It is likely that the majority of service personnel and veterans who have received compensation for an injury in tariffs 1 – 8 of the armed forces compensation scheme (AFCS) will be eligible for a Wiltshire bus pass because of their disability. Send a copy of your “reason for decision” letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency so that we can assess your eligibility.

If you are unable to provide evidence as above we may consider an explanation of how you qualify under the seven categories mentioned previously from a doctor, consultant or other qualified health professional. This must be on the relevant official headed paper and signed by the qualified health professional in support of your application. Contact the concessionary fares team to discuss what is appropriate before obtaining such a letter.

5. If you are applying for the Wiltshire bus pass plus companion you must include evidence of disability as explained above.

The evidence of disability, dated no more than 12 months prior, must show one of the following:

  • DLA higher rate mobility component and eligibility dates
  • PIP score of 12 points in the moving around activity, or 8 points and above in the communicating verbally activity
  • A copy of your certificate of visual impairment (CVI) showing you are registered as severely sight impaired (blind).
  • PIP score of 12 points in the planning and following journeys activity in addition to separate evidence that you are eligible for a bus pass as per paragraph 4 above
  • A copy of your latest audio graph showing your hearing reaches 95+dBHL

If you are unable to provide evidence of the above we may consider a letter of explanation from a consultant, doctor or other qualified health professional of why you are unable to travel on the bus unaided. This must be on official headed paper signed by the qualified health professional in support of your application. Contact  the concessionary fares team to discuss what is appropriate before obtaining such a letter.

6. If you are applying for taxi vouchers you must sign the declaration headed “for taxi voucher applicants only."

7. There is a fee of £10 to replace a lost or damaged bus pass.  Please contact Wiltshire Council for more information.

8. A charge of £10 is required to issue a NEW bus pass if you change your name and/or you wish to update your photograph during the life of your current pass.  However this is free if you inform us one month before the expiry date of your current bus pass.  The renewed bus pass will show the new details.


If you lose your bus pass and can’t find it again we can provide a replacement. The pass reported lost will be invalidated so it cannot be used if found. To report your lost pass, call us on 0300 456 0100 or email concessionarybuspasses@wiltshire.gov.uk. There is a non-refundable charge of £10 for a replacement bus pass when the original is lost or damaged. If your pass is stolen, this charge will be waived when a crime reference number is provided.

Lost, stolen or damaged taxi vouchers will not be replaced.


We only supply passes to permanent residents of Wiltshire. If you move somewhere outside Wiltshire you will need to make a new application to the council for your new address. When you have received your new concessionary bus pass send the Wiltshire pass back to us (address on the back of the pass) or contact us direct. Your old Wiltshire pass will be invalidated so that it can no longer be used.


Your bus pass provides you with free off-peak travel on local bus services anywhere in England between the hours of 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and bank holidays. There are also a limited number of morning buses where you can travel free before 9.30am because the services operate infrequently, a list of these are available to download at the bottom of this page, entitled "Concessionary fare exemption".


Wiltshire Council has a duty to protect personal information;

The Passenger Transport Unit will process this information in accordance with current Data Protection legislation. This information will be stored on computer and manual files. This personal data will only be used for providing transport, or purposes relating to this service. For more information write to Information Governance c/o Wiltshire Council, or e-mail to dataprotection@wiltshire.gov.uk. You will also find information online here.

Data Controller

Wiltshire Council is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner's Office. Full details of the registration are available at ICO register of data controllers 

Data Controller Contact Details

We can be contacted by phone, in person, or in writing

Data Protection Officer

Our DPO may be contacted as above or online at dataprotection@wiltshire.gov.uk

Purpose of processing

The Passenger Transport Unit will process your personal information for the following purposes:

  • maintaining our own accounts and records
  • supporting and managing our employees
  • promoting the services we provide
  • carrying out health and public awareness campaigns
  • managing our property
  • carrying out surveys
  • licensing and regulatory activities
  • local fraud initiatives
  • crime prevention and prosecution offenders including the use of CCTV
  • corporate administration and all activities we are required to carry out as a data controller and public authority
  • undertaking research
  • internal financial support and corporate functions
  • managing archived records for historical and research reasons
  • data matching under local and national fraud initiatives
  • provision of concessionary travel passes
  • provision of all non-commercial activities including education, social services and public transport
  • administering the collection of payments
  • administering the payment of refunds and expenses
  • administering enquiries and complaints
  • managing vehicle drivers

Legal basis for processing

Our processing shall be lawful because at least one of the following will apply:

(a) the data subject has given consent to the Council for processing of their personal data for one or more specific purposes

(b) processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract

(c) processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the Council is  subject

(d) processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person

(e) processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Council

(f) processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the controller or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject which require protection of personal data, in particular where the data subject is a child

If your special category data is processed, in addition to one of the above, processing will be necessary because at least one of the following shall also apply:

(a) the data subject has given explicit consent to the processing of those personal data for one or more specified purposes

(b) to carry out the obligations and exercising specific rights of the controller or of the data subject in the field of employment and social security and social protection law

(c) to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person where the data subject is physically or legally incapable of giving consent

(d) processing relates to personal data which are manifestly made public by the data subject

(e) for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or whenever courts are acting in their judicial capacity

(f) processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest

(g) processing is necessary for the purposes of preventive or occupational medicine, for the assessment of the working capacity of the employee, medical diagnosis, the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services

(h) for reasons of public interest in the area of public health, such as protecting against serious cross-border threats to health or ensuring high standards of quality and safety of health care and of medicinal products or medical devices

(i) for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes

Recipients or categories of recipients

Where necessary and lawful, or when required by legal obligation, we may share information with:

  • family, associates or representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing
  • healthcare, social and welfare organisations
  • educators
  • providers of goods and services
  • financial organisations
  • debt collection and tracing agencies
  • service providers
  • local and central government
  • ombudsman and regulatory authorities
  • professional advisers and consultants
  • courts and tribunals
  • trade unions
  • professional advisers
  • credit reference agencies
  • police forces
  • students and pupils including their relatives, guardians, carers or representatives
  • ;data processors
  • other police forces, non-home office police forces
  • courts, prisons
  • local and central government
  • international law enforcement agencies and bodies
  • partner agencies, approved organisations and individuals working with the police
  • service providers
  • healthcare professionals
  • law enforcement and prosecuting authorities
  • legal representatives, defence solicitors
  • police complaints authority
  • the disclosure and barring service  

Retention period

Wiltshire Council Passenger Transport Unit will process your personal data for the above purposes for no longer than necessary. Full details of our retention schedule may be found in the downloads section at the bottom of this page.

Your rights 

Your rights are set out in in Articles 13 to 22 of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 and include:

  • the right to access your personal information, to request rectification or erasure of certain personal information and to object to processing in certain circumstances
  • the right to withdraw any consent you may have given to process your personal information
  • the right to complain to the Information Commissioner if you feel we are processing your personal information unlawfully
  • the right to restrict processing activity in certain circumstances
  • the right to object to certain types of processing activity


The information you are giving us is a statutory or contractual requirement; or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract.
You are not obliged to provide this information.
Failure to provide us with the information may result in us being unable to provide the service being requested.

Automated decision making

The Passenger Transport Unit does not use automated decision making in respect to your personal information. 

More information

Further information can be found online in the Wiltshire Council pages Data Protection and How we use your information.


If you've got an English National Concessionary Scheme bus pass, issued by an English council outside of London, you can travel on London buses. 
Just show your pass to the driver. See the link below for further information:

London - free and discounted travel


Share this page

Last updated: 16 October 2019 | Last reviewed: 16 October 2019