School admissions window now open for primary and secondary school places
Wiltshire residents can now apply for primary and secondary school places for September 2022 entry, for children starting school for the first time or for children who are moving from a primary to secondary school or from an infant to junior school.
Applications can be now submitted online at www.wiltshire.gov.uk until the national deadline dates of 31 October 2021 for secondary schools and 15 January 2022 for primary schools and infant to junior transfer.
The National Offer Day for school places from applications received before the published deadlines are 1 March 2022 for secondary and 19 April 2022 for primary and junior places. Applicants will be able to log back into the online system on the National Offer Day to view the outcome of their application.
Applications can also be submitted using a paper application which can be obtained from Wiltshire Council's Customer Services Team on 01225 713010, or downloaded from the website www.wiltshire.gov.uk. Those who apply using the paper application will be sent a letter confirming the outcome of their application, but information will not be available on the National Offer Day.
Cllr Laura Mayes, Cabinet Member for Children, Education and Skills, said: "This is a key moment for families, and this isn't a first come first served process, so I would encourage them to take time to think carefully about the preferences they put down.
"Families can visit our website where there is important information on how to follow the simple process. I'd urge families to make their preferences online where possible and ensure the application is in before the deadline day."
As families look ahead to the next step for their child here are 10 top tips to consider to make the process as swift and easy as possible:
1) Apply online. You will receive immediate email confirmation that your application has been received and on National Offer Day you can log back into the system to view the outcome of your application. Please ensure you keep your login details in a safe place to enable you to do this.
2) The person completing the application must have parental responsibility for the child.
3) You can apply for up to three schools. Please put these in your order of preference.
4) Naming additional preferences will not reduce your chances of securing a place for your child at your first preference school. Repeating your first preference school in the second and third preference boxes on the application does not improve your child's chance of securing a place at your preferred school. This will however result in wasting your preferences as a school can only be considered once on each application.
5) If you live in Wiltshire and want to apply for a school place outside the county, you must still make your application to Wiltshire Council. We pass on your application to the relevant local authority where it will be considered alongside the other applications for that school.
6) If you do not live in Wiltshire and want to apply for a Wiltshire school, you must make an application to your own local authority. They will then pass on your application details to us. The only exception to this are applications from children of UK service personnel.
7) If you wish to find out more about the schools you are looking at, please contact each school directly.
8) Although we are not able to guarantee an offer of a school place even if you live in the schools designated area, we recommend you name your designated school as one of your preferences.
9) Visit the Wiltshire Council website to find out the designated school for your home address.
10) You can make a late application online even if the deadline for the intake round has already passed but you are less likely to secure a place at one of your preferred schools.
For more information visit our school admissions pages at www.wiltshire.gov.u