Garden waste collections
Register for collection
You must register to have your garden waste collected. You can recycle bark, cut flowers, grass cuttings, hedge clippings, house plants, leaves, shrub prunings, twigs and small branches, untreated sawdust and wood shavings, and weeds.
You can pay online to register or renew your garden waste collections until 30 June 2023 - sign up or renew online.
If you are experiencing a problem when renewing, see our Garden waste - frequently asked questions page for assistance.
|Month of registration||Cost|
|April, May, June, July, August 2022||£60|
|September, October, November, December 2022||£36|
|January, February, March 2023||£15|
Each £60 payment covers the emptying of one 180 litre bin until 30 June 2023.
Your collection days can be viewed on our online calendar.
Bins will be emptied fortnightly, except for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year holiday period.
Once you have paid, you will receive a letter with your garden waste sticker and collections will commence within three weeks.
If you require a bin, this will be delivered within two weeks.
The council will only empty garden waste bins which have been paid for.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our more common queries are listed below. For more FAQs, please see our Garden waste - frequently asked questions page.
- Grass cuttings
- Cut flowers
- Hedge clippings
- House plants (please remove soil)
- Twigs and small branches
- Untreated sawdust and wood shavings
- Biodegradable bedding (hay, straw, shredded paper) from non-meat eating pets (rabbits, mice, hamsters)
- Any food waste including fruit, vegetables, peelings, coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells, meat
- Windfall fruit (You can compost food waste at home - Compost at home )
- Animal waste except biodegradable bedding (hay, straw, shredded paper) from non-meat eating pets (rabbits, mice, hamsters)
- Pet litter
- Soil or turf
- Bricks, stones or rubble
- Paper, shredded paper or card
- Large items of garden waste
- Large branches or logs
- Seed trays and plant pots
- Packaging of any kind including 'compostable bags' or biodegradable plastics
Yes, each additional bin will cost the appropriate amount found in the table at the top of this page. There is no limit on the number of bins you can have.
If you find it difficult to put out your rubbish and recycling bins or bags you can apply online for an assisted collection or by calling us on 0300 456 0102.
If you do not want to sign up or renew your garden waste service and do not wish to keep your bin, we will retrieve it. If you change your mind and sign up for the chargeable garden waste service within a year, there will be a £25 charge in addition to the annual fee.
In order for your bin to be retrieved you must:
- Request a retrieval using our online form.
- Empty your bin. We cannot retrieve bins containing waste.
- Keep your bin in an easily visible and accessible place so that the crew can locate it.
If your bin is damaged, you can request a replacement online.