Scheme to financially support people on a low income who have to self-isolate
There is now financial support available to people on low income who are required to self-isolate due to COVID-19.
The government's COVID-19 test and trace support scheme is now live and people may be eligible if they are required to self-isolate because of COVID-19, are on a low income, and will lose money because they cannot work.
The scheme will be locally administered by Wiltshire Council and can provide qualifying people with a lump sum of £500.
To be eligible, people must:
- Have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace after Monday, 28 September 2020 and have a unique Test and Trace number provided by the NHS
- Be a Wiltshire resident
- Be employed or self-employed
- Have lost income by being unable to work from home while self-isolating
- Be receiving at least one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-based Employment Support Allowance
- Working Tax Credit
The information people need to hand when applying is:
- Their National insurance number.
- Their NHS Test and Trace number.
- If they are employed, a payslip.
- If they are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that their business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact.
- A bank statement for the account they wish the payment to be made to.
If applicable, people can make a backdated claim to 28 September 2020.
Cllr Philip Whitehead, Leader of Wiltshire Council, said:
The scheme is due to run until 31 January 2021, at which point it will be reviewed by the Government.
We know that when people are told to self-isolate this can increase financial pressures for some at an already difficult time.
It is now a legal requirement to self-isolate when instructed by NHS Test and Trace. Therefore we hope this scheme provides help to those who need it most, as now more than ever we need people to self-isolate when they are told to do so to help us keep the virus under control in Wiltshire.
For more information and to apply please should visit the COVID-19 Test and Trace payment support scheme webpage or call 0300 456 0110. People can also email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The NHS COVID-19 app is now available for download and is used, alongside traditional contact tracing, to notify people if they've come into contact with someone who later tests positive for COVID-19.
It will help the NHS understand where and how quickly the virus is spreading, so it can respond quickly and effectively. The app tracks the virus, not the person individually.
It can be downloaded via the App Store or Google Play.