Wiltshire draft climate strategy 2022-2027. August 2021
The future economy will include more jobs in sectors such as renewable energy, electric vehicles and installing low carbon heating in buildings. This is a huge opportunity for Wiltshire.
A circular economy is one where resources are used as efficiently as possible, changing what was traditionally a linear process - using things and then throwing them away - to a circular process where value is retained and recovered within the system.
- To grow the green economy in Wiltshire, increasing capacity and skills in key sectors to meet demand and delivery targets
- Wiltshire businesses take action to become carbon neutral and climate resilient
Our areas of focus
Wiltshire Council will:
! Stimulate the green and circular economy and local supply chains by delivering programmes in key sectors such as housing retrofit and investment in renewables
! Work with our suppliers to require them to measure and reduce their carbon emissions
- Support the growth of businesses focused on sustainability and zero carbon innovation and attract new ones to invest in the county
- Showcase what leading businesses are doing on this agenda in Wiltshire
- Promote green skills opportunities to young people through the Wiltshire and Swindon Careers Hub and encourage engagement with green jobs through Wiltshire Council Employment and Skills programmes
Using our influence and partnerships we will:
! Continue to promote 'shop local' campaigns and encourage people to use their local retail centres
- Work with training providers and employers to increase training for green skills. This depends on generating sufficient demand which our own council programmes will help with
- Work with local networks to support small organisations, from SMEs to local charities, to become climate resilient and sustainable
- Input to government policy and funding programmes, to make sure they are appropriate for Wiltshire residents and businesses
"A 2020 survey of 1,000 people aged 18 to 34 found that 50 percent wanted a job in the green economy." (Good Energy Survey, 2020)
One thing you can do: by sourcing a reputable local trader for your renewable energy or heat pump installation you'll help build local supply chains throughout Wiltshire. It is important to thoroughly insulate your home first.