Toggle menu


We are currently investigating technical issues on this website. Thanks for your patience.

A parents guide to school admission appeals

Who will be at the appeal hearing?

  • You and anybody else you have told us you wish to bring along for support.
  • If you cannot attend, your representative - if you have said you will send one in your place (please advise us of this in advance).
  • Three independent panel members.
  • The clerk, who is an officer from Democratic Services who has received formal training on Admission Appeals. 
  • An officer from the admission authority and possibly a representative from the school in question.
  • Sometimes there may be an observer at the hearing. This may be someone who is training to be a clerk or a panel member. They will take no part in the hearing or decision making.
  • We do not recommend the child you are appealing for being present at the appeal hearing.

Who are the independent appeal panel members?

The appeal panel is independent of the admission authority. This means they don't have anything to do with Wiltshire Council. The panel members are unpaid volunteers who have received training on admission appeals. There are 3 panel members that include:

  • at least one person who has no personal experience in the management of any school, or in providing education in any school (other than as a school governor or any other voluntary role); they are called a 'lay member'
  • at least one person with experience in education who is familiar with educational conditions in Wiltshire or is the parent of a pupil registered at a school; they are called the 'non-lay member'.

A member can't hear your appeal if he/she:

  • knows you directly
  • is a governor of your preferred school
  • has had any previous involvement in your case

Members of Wiltshire Council are not eligible to sit as appeal panel members.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email