Toggle menu

Information for electors voting in the General Election 2024.

A UK parliamentary election has been called for 4 July 2024. Deadlines for registering to vote, and applying for a postal vote, have now passed. To apply to vote by proxy, you have until 5pm on 26 June 2024: GOV.UK: Apply to vote by proxy (opens new window)

Overseas electors may consider applying to vote by proxy. For more information see the General Election 2024 page.

Area boards

Local Highway and Footway Improvement Groups

Local Highway and Footway Improvement Groups (LHFIGS) have replaced Community Area Transport Groups (CATGs) and are sub-groups of the area boards. They aim to find solutions for local transport issues such as road repairs, traffic problems, road layouts and parking. More details on the type of measures which can and cannot be considered for funding can be found in the LHFIG Terms of Reference April 2022 (PDF) [106KB] (opens new window) . Each group has about 10 members including area board members, town and parish council members and community representatives.

The meetings are also attended by relevant officers from Wiltshire council including a senior transport planner, a senior traffic engineer and a local highway maintenance engineer as necessary. Their key purpose is to offer advice and support to the group but they do not vote on the issues raised. The LHFIG may also invite representatives from local organisations to its meetings to give technical advice or to share local knowledge. Further information on the LHFIG decision making process can be found in the  LHFIG Guidance Notes April 2022 (PDF) [182KB] (opens new window) .

Funding allocation

The amount allocated is dependent on the geographical size and population for each community area and is shown in the terms of reference. The funding allocation is for capital expenditure and can only be used to provide new and improved highway infrastructure. The funding is suitable for small scale schemes which improve safety, increase accessibility and sustainability by promoting walking, cycling and public transport and improving traffic management. It cannot be used to fund revenue functions such as maintenance schemes or the provision of passenger transport services.

Raising an issue

Individuals may  Report a highways improvement issue (PDF) (PDF) [123KB] (opens new window)   which should then be submitted to their town or parish council. The form includes a hyperlink to the town and parish council contact details webpage. Only those issues which are supported by the town or parish council may be considered by the LHFIG.

Further information about how the groups operate, including membership, meeting schedule and the decision-making process, can be found on the Local highway and footway improvement groups.

Report a highways improvement issue (Word document) (Word doc) [38KB] (opens new window)

Traffic Survey Request Process & Information April 2023 (OpenDocument text format) [1MB] (opens new window)

Traffic-survey-request-form February 2022 (OpenDocument text format) [109KB] (opens new window)

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email