Council tax energy rebate payment
Frequently asked questions
This relates to the main energy rebate scheme. All information regarding the discretionary scheme can be found on the discretionary fund page.
- Your property has a council valuation tax band of A, B, C or D on 1 April 2022 (this will include band E properties, where you are currently subject to a disabled band reduction)
- You are the current council tax payer on 1 April 2022 and it is your sole or main residence (includes those currently subject to council tax reduction)
- Your property is subject to the following exemptions:
- Exemption N - properties occupied only by students
- Exemption S - properties occupied only by under 18's
- Exemption U - properties occupied by people with severe mental impairment
- Exemption W - properties classed as an annexe and occupied by elderly or disabled relatives
Only one £150 payment can be made per household, regardless of the number of occupants
- Your property has a council tax band of E or above on 1 April 2022
- Your property is unoccupied on 1 April 2022
- Your property is not anyone's main residence on 1 April 2022 ie. it is a second home
- You are a local authority, a corporate body, a housing association or other government body
- Properties owned by the Ministry of Defence (MOD) and occupied by members of the armed forces. The MOD will deal with support in these cases.
- As bank details are currently held for direct debit payers we will be able to make payment to those eligible without application.
- Your direct debit will be claimed as usual during April and we expect to pay the £150, as soon as possible after this claim has been made. The payment will be shown in bank accounts as a bank credit from Wiltshire Council.
- If you would like to register to make future payments by direct debit, please sign up
- If you are not a direct debit payer, a campaign letter will be sent to you by the middle of May. This will provide you with an activation code so that you can securely register your bank details for payment.
- The council only intend to make payment of the energy rebate by bacs into your own bank account.
- If you do not want to provide your bank details, the payment will be made direct to your council tax.
- The government expect all payments to be made by 30 September 2022
- Further enquiries regarding payment can be made to the council tax team on 0300 456 0109 or email@example.com
- All direct debit payers should now have received the payment
- If you have not received payment you should contact the council tax team on 0300 456 0109 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campaign letters are due to be issued to non-direct debit payers in the middle of May
- If you have still not received a campaign letter by the end of May, please contact the council tax team on 0300 456 0109 or email@example.com who will investigate this further
- If you do not want to provide the council with your bank detail to receive the energy rebate sooner, there is no need to contact the council
- In this instance, the rebate will automatically be paid to your council tax account as a last resort. This will not happen until August, at which time a revised council tax bill will be issued