Council tax energy rebate payment
The discretionary energy rebate scheme for households within council tax bands E to H, is now open.
If you are a direct debit payer within bands E to H and are currently in receipt of council tax reduction , or the property has been adapted to accommodate a disabled person (this includes where it is occupied by people with severe mental impairment), your £150.00 rebate will be paid directly into your bank account, within the next 14 days.
If you meet the criteria above, but are not a direct debit payer, you will shortly receive a letter inviting you to submit an online application and provide your bank details for payment to be made. Please refer to the secure online portal application and guidance section.
All other applications will need to be submitted, by downloading an application form and either emailing or posting it back to the council, with your supporting information and documents. Please refer to the application form and criteria section.
- The council has been allocated around £877,000 for those households that were not eligible for the main rebate
- The council expect to provide funding to households that need support, but do not qualify under the terms of the main rebate. This will include properties in council tax band E or above
- If you are in a band E to H property and in receipt of council tax reduction or your home has been adapted to accommodate a disabled person, a letter will be sent to you inviting you to claim. Although, if you currently pay by direct debit the rebate will be paid to you automatically
- Other applications will be determined based on the criteria listed below
- The scheme will end in November when all unspent funds should be returned to the government. Please ensure your application is submitted no later than 31st October 2022
- Support from this fund will consist of no more than £150 per household
- For further enquiries regarding this scheme, you may email the council at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the council tax team on 0300 456 0109
This will only apply if you have received a campaign letter from the council, inviting you to submit an application.
With this letter, you will be able to access the council's secure online portal system to enter your bank details.
Claim online: Secure online portal system
Help to submit your claim
To complete the online application you will need to provide the following information on the first page of the form:
- First name and last name - this should be exactly as it is recorded on your council tax bill and on the letter sent to you. The council usually hold your full name, but in some cases this may just be an initial. If the letter was not in your name, but you are shown as liable for council tax on the bill, you are able to claim in that name as well.
- Council tax account number - this is not on the letter for security reasons. This can be found on your latest council tax bill (annual bills issued in March), or any previous bill that you may have received. It will accept the whole 12 digit reference number or the first 11 digits ( without the final check digit).
- Activation code - this is unique code shown at the bottom of your letter.
- Email address - this is used to confirm your application has been received and will give you a reference number for your claim. This field is not essential and it does not need to match with an email address held by the council.
You will only be able to progress to the next page if the details have been entered correctly. If you have reviewed all the information supplied and it still does not work, contact the council tax team on 0300 456 0109.
The second page requires the following bank details of the account the payment is to be made to:
- Sort code
- Bank account number
- Name of account holder
Tick box to agree payment can be made to this account and complete your claim.
An email will be sent to the email address provided confirming receipt of your application and giving you a claim reference number.
The council will endeavour to make payment to you as soon as possible. With the large numbers expected this is a difficult task and payment may take up to 3 weeks.
If you are receiving council tax reduction, or a disabled band reduction, you do not need to complete this form and will be invited to apply.
For all other applications, please download and complete the application form below and provide the information and supporting documents requested.
- The household has not already received an energy rebate payment
- Your property is in council tax band E to H and you have been living here on or before the 1st April 2022
- You are in receipt of council tax reduction
- Your property has been adapted to accommodate a disabled person (This includes households occupied by people with a severe mental impairment)
- You are of pensionable age where a member of the household is in receipt of personal independence payments, disability living allowance, or attendance allowance
- You are the sole occupier with children under the age of 18 and can provide evidence of fuel poverty (households are considered in fuel poverty if more than 10% of the income is spent on maintaining an adequate level of warmth)
- You do not have savings in excess of £3,000
- Each case will be considered on its merits and will require evidence to be supplied. This will include a copy or photo of a recent energy bill, bank statement and in some instances evidence of your earnings and pensions
Please allow up to 30 days for your application to be received and determined. The council will advise you as soon as the outcome is known or should further information be required.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com or posted to Wiltshire Council, Revenue Service, Collections - Council Tax, P.O. Box 4385, Trowbridge, BA14 4DS