Toggle menu

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit for private tenants

If you are a private tenant, we will use the Local Housing Allowance ( (opens new window) to decide the maximum amount of Housing Benefit that we can pay you. It is based on the location and size of accommodation you require, rather than the rent that is being charged. The amount of Housing Benefit you will receive will depend on the LHA rate that is applied after also taking into account your financial and household circumstances.

Use the LHA website to help you:

Circumstances where the LHA does not apply:

  • you live in a property which is owned by the council
  • you are a tenant of a Registered Social Landlord (this includes most housing associations)
  • you live in supported housing
  • your tenancy started before 15 January 1989
  • you live in a caravan, houseboat or hostel
  • the amount of Housing Benefit we will pay you is based upon your individual circumstances, so the actual amount you receive may be less than the LHA figure

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email